8. fireworks

The next night Percy agreed to take you to camp to see the fireworks, not knowing that you were going because you had a date. He was bringing Annabeth to see the fireworks, too. They missed them last year.

Connor stood at the entrance, waiting for you. "Hey."

Percy froze and looked at you. "Why's he here?"

Connor smiled. "I'm taking your sister on a date, Jackson."

Percy turned to you. "You didn't tell me that! You just said you wanted to watch the fireworks!"

You smiled and did finger guns. "Sorry, I forgot. Oops."

Connor laughed. "I like you a lot more than originally planned."

He threw his arm around your shoulder and walked you down to the beach.

You stood there with him for a while before he started talking.

"You look..." he took a second. "I have no words. I just... wow."

You brushed a lock of (h/c) hair behind your ear. Your cheeks turned pink. "Thanks."

He looked up at the night sky. "I'll be honest. Standing here with you makes me feel something I've never felt before. It's good."

You turned to look at him. His brown hair was tousled perfectly, and his cheeks were flushed a light pink. His eyes looked so different in the dark.

The back of his hand brushed the back of yours. He curled his pinky around yours sneakily.

"You're adorable," you muttered softly, barely loud enough for you to hear, let alone him.

Connor smirked.

"(Y/N)!" Leo yelled from across the beach.

You turned to him. "Leo! Hey!"

Connor tensed and he took your hand into his. Aw, he was jealous. How cute.

Leo ran over. "I didn't know you were coming."

"I didn't know I was last time I saw you," you said.

"Well, you're here now," Leo replied. "I can show you everything we're doing, and everything I built, and-"

"Valdez, she's kinda on a date right now," Connor interrupted.

Leo blinked and looked up at him. "Oh? Who's the lucky guy?"

"Me," Connor replied. "And I agree that I'm lucky."

Leo raised his eyebrows. "Oh, you? That's, that's cool. I didn't know you guys were a thing."

Connor snaked his arm around your waist and smiled. "We are if she wants to be."

You looked at Leo and smiled softly. "Sorry I didn't say anything, I just-"

Leo smiled. "No, it's fine, we'll catch up later."

He walked off as quickly as he came.

Connor rubbed circles on your waist with his thumb. You shivered.

"Are you cold?" Connor asked. "It is a little cold out here."

You shrugged. "Kinda."

He pulled off his hoodie and handed it to you. You put it on. It was a little big on you. Connor beamed.

"You look adorable," he said.

You stuck your hands in the hoodie pockets and smiled up at him. "Thanks."

His hoodie was warm and it made you feel all nice inside.

You took one of your hands out of your pocket. You kinda liked when he held your hand.

He reached over and laced your fingers with his. It was warm and you liked it a lot.

He led you over to the water. "I don't know too much about you, so... tell me about yourself."

"Well, I like to read and listen to music," you shrugged. "There's not much about me."

He shook his head. "I don't believe that."

"I like scary movies?" you tried. "And candy."

"Favorite flavor?" he asked.

"Blue raspberry," you answered without hesitation. It wasn't the flavor that made you like it, but the color. Ever since you moved in with Sally and Percy, all the dessert you've eaten has been blue.

He nodded. "Blue raspberry. I can respect that."

You laughed a little. "What flavor would make you disrespect me?"

"Anything lemon," he said, crinkling his nose. You laughed.

"I'll be right back," he said, walking off.

You saw Leo across the beach. He stared at the water and furrowed his eyebrows like he was remembering something.

You sighed.

A minute later, Connor returned with two popsicles.

"Blue raspberry for you," he said, handing you one. You smiled and took it.

"Cherry for me," he said, licking his popsicle. He watched as you nibbled at yours.

"Hey," he said sneakily. "Mind if I try yours?"

"Sure," you said, placing it in front of him.

He pushed it aside and cupped your cheek. He leaned in and pressed his lips to yours, softly. You kissed him back. He smiled into the kiss and moved his hand into your hair. The fireworks went off.

You kissed back roughly, desperate for more. You could taste the cherry on his lips.

He pulled away to breathe. "Suddenly my favorite flavor is also blue raspberry."

You laughed happily, turning to see the last of the fireworks. You leaned into his side and he wrapped an arm around you.

"I wanna do this again," you muttered. "I'm having a really good time."

He smiled and kissed your temple. "Me, too."

You looked over and saw Leo standing at the water, closer this time. He had his hands in his pockets and was looking back at you. You looked away quickly.

Percy came up behind you. "It's time to go."

"What? We just got here."

"It's already ten," Percy said. "Mom said to be back by ten-thirty."

You groaned. "Alright. Bye, Connor."

"Bye," he told you.

You walked with Percy to the car.

"Two days ago you were kissing Leo," Percy said. "And now you're dating Connor?"

You shrugged. "Things change, I guess."

"And what about Leo? Was your ploy really just a ploy to him?"

"I don't know," you said. "Maybe, maybe not. But I think I'm gonna stick with Connor. He's fun."

"But do you like him?" Percy asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh, yeah?"

"You hesitated."

"Did not."

"Did too!"