We headed down the hallway and into my room before I shut the door behind us and leaned on it as Nicholas stepped in, scanning. I was embarrassed at how messy my room was. Clothes were scattered in random piles, books open and all over the place, candy wrappers, etc. I looked up at Nicholas, who had his back to me for a moment before he turned around.

"Alex, I like you." He stated. I blinked, looking at him uncertainly as I stayed against the door, my palms flat against the hard wood.

"Uh, well, that's nice... That makes one person at our school." I admitted, but Nicholas shook his head, withdrawing his hands from his sweatshirt and taking a few steps closer to me, making me press even further against the door.

"I'm sorry, I should've been more clear," Nicholas sighed, then locked eyes with me, "I love you, Alex."

My heart stopped.

He said it. Nicholas said it. He loved me! He loved me! It explained why he practically kissed me at the game and invited me out and defended me when no one else would! Nicholas really loved me!

After years of watching him from afar and coming up with scenerios of how we could date, he finally confirmed all those fantasizes with those three simple words that seemed to ring in my ears, making my heart pound violently against my ribcage. My whole body felt like it had caught on fire.

Nicholas loved me!

I was about to reply with my confession when Storm's voice seemed to pop into my head.

"As if you'd do something for anyone else! Ever since I showed up here, it's always been about you!"

"May the Goddess have mercy on you because when he finds out that this is your doing, he'll make your life a living hell by killing off everyone you love, including that pathetic, sniveling wrench of a human you lust after like some-some fucking horny teenaged girl!"

I felt like I was replaying everything from earlier in my head up until my own words seemed to snap back and hit me in the face.

"How can I possibly have a relationship with Nicholas if he's human, you idiot?! How can I have a relationship if Mark's the one who's in trouble?! I know it's my fault!"

Storm was right. I was right. This couldn't work. Nicholas was a human. He was fragile compared to my kind. All because of my mistakes, Nicholas would suffer if we got together. Storm's father would kill him, if not torment him for as long as he lived. I couldn't drag Nicholas into this.

I couldn't risk Nicholas' life. I couldn't risk the rest of ours anymore than I already have.

The cold heard truth hit me so hard, I couldn't even stop the tears this time as they blurred my vision of Nicholas' handsome face looking at me in concern. He reached up and his warm hands cupped my cheeks, taking my breath away.

"Alex, why are you crying?" Nicholas asked, worried as he tried to wipe them away, but the more he tried, the more tears sprang to my eyes. I reached up, touching his hands and savoring every second of touching him.

"I-I can't." I managed. Nicholas blinked, looking confused.

"You can't what?" He asked gently, studying my face as he tried to wipe my tears away some more. I shook my head and had to force myself to push his hands away, force myself to let go of the hands I wanted to hold and kiss for years.

"I'm sorry, you have to go." I choked, covering my mouth as I opened the bedroom door to step out. Nicholas was right on my heels as I went for the stairs, walking quickly.

"Wait, Alex, I don't understand," Nicholas protested, his footsteps following me down the stairs, "I know you like me. I've been watching you as long as you've been watching me. I know you went to every single one of my games, for both soccer and football. I know you watched me at lunch and during class. I know you like me, so why...?" His voice trailed as I went to open the front door. He caught my wrist and spun me around so I was facing him.