Far from Home

The travel wasn't bad. Staying close to Bowen wasn't that bad either. It was the fear of not making it back home after all this. We've come so far. I was hundreds and hundreds of miles from Servania and Wyverna. So far away from what I knew. When Bowen fell asleep, I decided to explore the cabin. There was a door. Not the one that led outside. Then another and another. Three doors, each a different colour. A gray, a gold and a black. I knew what they were for. Doors to the other carriages. Gray for Striker and Prince George, gold for the royal brothers and black for the mages. I felt the need to go through one of them. I needed to know if I was correct. I opened the grey door, stepping through while holding my breath. I found myself coming out of the door and onto the floor of Striker and Prince George's carriage. Inside was still Svenon as well.

"Victoria?" Svenon asked, confused. "The red door must lead to you and Prince Bowen."

"Wow. Teleportation through magic isn't the easiest thing. That was terrifying, yet such a rush. My blood is pumping and my ears are ringing."

Prince George jumped up. "Bowen? Is he alright?"

"Yes. He's just resting."

Prince George sighed, relaxing again. I took a deep breath. "Sorry, you continue your conversation. I just wanted to test my theory. Now to the golden door. To Rolande and Jovsin."

I jumped through the golden door. I somehow slipped and landed on Rolande. He wasn't happy to see me. "Victoria?"

"What were you doing at the door, Rolande? That's dangerous."

Jovsin laughed. "You must have been wondering the same as us, dear sister. Where do the doors head to?"

"Red is my cabin, grey is Striker's cabin, gold is your cabin and black is Rathelia's cabin." I stood up, helping Rolande up as well. "Jovsin, dear brother, what are you doing?"

Rolande cackled once. "He found gold covered wire and a large gem stone. He's trying to make an engagement ring to use in Nethurus"

I walked over to where Jovsin was. I put my hand on his shoulder, sitting down beside him. Once I had sat down, I rested my head on his shoulder. My smile spoke a thousand words. He held me against his chest in a sibling-bound embrace.

"Now, I accept of your proposal, but I don't think in Nethurus would be the best idea."

He shook his head. "I must know that she will marry me before the battle, in case one of us shall perish. It's an act of true love. We'll be like mother and father. An adventure before marriage."

"I never thought of it like that. Oh, I hope nobody else proposes to anyone there. I know Striker hasn't given up his chances with me. Though a lifelong friend, I could never marry someone who doesn't love me for real."

Rolande joined us, sitting on their blanket. "What do you mean, sweet Victoria?"

"I have felt real love before."

"Yes, that young boy of elvish decent who died." Rolande agreed.

I nodded my head. "Exactly, but I have felt another type of love. A love of someone who cares for you back. Like Rathelia and Jovsin. I have seen a man so in love that he would risk everything for her. If Servania has taught me anything, it's that love is the most important thing you can have. I've realized that even I don't have to be alone with only family to love. Rolande, Jovsin, do not tell Svenon, but there is someone from Servania I would like to marry."

"Servania? I thought you were tortured there?" Rolande asked.

"And in the darkness, emerged a light. A little flickering light to guide the way. That little light grew brighter and brighter until until it was like the sun. Something you know is there and it so important, but you take advantage of. I believe he has the same feelings for me."

"You have feelings? Towards a young man? I never thought I'd see the day little 'Toria would want to get married." Jovsin laughed.

"You want to get married as well, Jovsin."

"That's true."

I sighed. I took the ring out of the bag. "I bought this at the last town. It's silver and opal. Handmade by the craftsman. I believe Ill ask him the first moment I can after Irseval is dead."

Rolande gave a confused look. "Why after Irseval is dead?"

"Well, I couldn't possibly now. Besides, I'd like to know I'll live before I ask someone who cares so much about me. If I were to die, it would only make him sadder. Best to not let him know until after."

"Who is the young man?"

The red door opened, making me jump and shove the ring back into my bag as fast as I could. I sealed the pocket once again. Looking up, I found Bowen sitting right in front of me.

His head tilted slightly. "Showing your brothers the other thing you got at that jewelry store?"

"Yes, but it's still a secret."

Rolande chuckled once again, this time he didn't stop. He chuckled so hard he fell on his side. ""You'll tell us, but you won't tell your new best friend? Did you even tell Striker?"

"Of course I haven't told Striker. You are the only ones I have told other then Gwenyth. Even then, she doesn't know much. I only asked her opinion vaguely."

Bowen tilted his head again, more confused then ever. "What's happening? What were you talking to Gwenyth about?"

I took a deep breath. "Your memory is horrible, how can you remember how to cook and clean a fight, but you can't Reiner conversations about things that may be important?"

"I have no idea. Was it before or after I said I had a present for you?"

"For saving your life. It was before. I went to sleep after. It's not important to you. It's more of a family matter."

He smiled. "I understand, Vic. I have to talk to my brother about something too. George should be able to give me the advice I need. I'll ask him in Nethurus."

I started to calm after that. It made me nervous at the same time. I cared for him and I didn't want to have to separate from all these wonderful, especially Bowen.

Jovsin put a hand on my shoulder. "Victoria, we'll have to stop at Servania. I hope you know that."

I nodded. "Of course I do. We'll have to get supplies. Maybe we can find some others who would help us."

That's when I heard screaming for us to halt. We all jumped out the door to see what the commotion was about. What I saw was terrifying.