Short-Lived Memories

Start from the beginning

     "This is a—phone." I hesitated.

     He looked at me then back at the strange rectangular device in his fuzzy hands.

     "Quit pulling my leg, this thing? Phonus balonus!"

     "What?"

     Asriel knew I was confused by the last word he just said.

     "Phonus balonus means nonsense; like this," he points. "This can't be a phone! It's too small and...and flat!"

     "Ah, but you see, it is a phone,"

     I take it from his hands and pressed the power button, his reaction was priceless. I didn't have any signal so proving that it actually was a phone was out of the question, but I did show him a few game apps I had. His mind was completely boggled by the fact that my phone not only could call people and play games, but could also send messages, be a flashlight, a calculator—it later dawned on me that I hardly use my phone to actually call people.

     "...so your phone has this library that's not really a library but it knows everything like a library?" 

     "I wouldn't say that is knows everything, it's kind of hard to explain. We don't really call it a library on the surface, we call it The Internet and it has these things called websites which are kind of like books."

     "This is the bee's knees! Can you show me this internet dingus...That means "Thing" just so you know."

     I appreciated Asriel explaining his vocabulary without me having to ask but I sighed knowing that I wouldn't be able to show him anything about the internet since I still had no signal.

     "Sorry Asriel, I won't be able to show you how the internet works. I don't have a signal."

     "What do you mean by "signal"?"

     "You know how your phones have an operator that directs you to who your calling, it's similar to that."

     Asriel wasn't as disappointed that I can't show him how my phone calls but he was still intrigued by the fact that my phone does so much more than call. I told him more about the surface and how mostly everyone has a phone just like I do, I wish I could show him what the surface is like. I suddenly had an idea.

     "Hey Asriel, let me show you something,"

     He handed my phone back as I scrolled through pictures I've taken over the years. I tried to find the best pictures of my friends and family to show him but I mostly tried to find the best scenery pictures of the surface to show Asriel.

     "Here you go," I gave him my phone back and his eyes brightened.

     "What is this!? These pictures are colorful, is that a city?"

     "They're pictures that I have taken when I was still up on the surface, some of them are pictures of my friends and family."

     He swiped the screen to look at more, his eyes lighting up every time he looked at a different picture.

     "Can I take a picture?" Asriel is bursting with excitement at this point.

     "Yes, hold still for me."

     Asriel heard the sound of the camera taking his picture, it was like seeing a kid on Christmas day opening up their presents. He snatched up the phone to see his picture and couldn't believe what he was looking at.

     "This is amazing! I never thought I'd see a picture of myself in color before!"

     I showed him how to zoom in on pictures so he could see more details of his white fur. I later on showed him  how my phone also takes videos or how Asriel calls them "moving pictures", turns out that's what everyone calls them down here. I laughed when Asriel complained about how his voice sounded weird on the "moving picture", I told him that's also what everyone else thinks about their voice on the surface when they hear it on video.