In An Earth Of A Romance's Worth

"Ay mijo, ¿qué te trae por aquí?" was the first thing that Miles' bewildered mother, Rio Morales, asked when she saw her son in front of the house, at the stoop. 

"Hola, mami,"  said Miles, disoriented and out of focus. Part of this was because he was mentally rehearsing how he would come out to his parents. He felt more unbalanced by the prospects of their reactions. Would they or would they not accept him for his sexual orientation? If yes, would that give him the right to discuss his male romantic interest with his parents without any repercussions? Or would he have to become a runaway and take refuge in Aunt May's small, decent house?

It did work for Kevin Abstract...

"Quiero hablarte sobre algo."

"Come in, come in," she insisted, watching her son with worry as clear as glass. She sensed that it was something important he wanted to converse over. As she closed the front door, her husband Jefferson walked out of the bathroom, Ebony Man magazine in hand. His concern was visible when he got a surprise (Miles) sitting in the kitchen table, looking down and studying his hands. 

Rio and Jefferson traded anxious glances at each other. What issue did their son want to speak of this time around?

"Son, is there something that's bothering you?" interrogated Jefferson gravely. "You can come to us anytime with your concerns".

"Yeah..." squeaked out Miles. He was borderline sobbing, fearing what would slip out of his mouth and what his mind would regret. 

"So?" Interrogated Jefferson once more, this time with stern, "Speak up, son."

"I'm...," tears stained his cheeks as he tried to compose himself, "I'm...I'm....I'm gay, okay? I'm attracted to guys and I look at guys' bodies every time and I even have magazines with shirtless guys and I'm still confused as to why I like guys just don't be disappointed at me...please."

The first reaction Miles got from his parents upon his coming out confession was from his mother, who went over to her only son and smothered him in kisses.

"Siempre te amare, Miles, ames a quien ames."

"Thanks Mom," sniffed Miles, "love you too."

Jefferson Davis, on the other hand, did not react immediately. He just looked right past Miles, pondering, as if considering the implications of fathering a homosexual son. 

"I can't say I'm too fond of your...lifestyle, Miles," he said matter-of-factly. "And I'm not going to lie myself by saying that I wanted a gay son."

But in spite of this, he sprouted a weak smile and opened up his arms for an embrace. Miles took the opportunity to give him a tight hug.

"But I'll try to understand you, Miles, I mean it. I'd do anything to see my son smile." He ended his vow with a pat on the back, and Miles reminisced for a moment that he had paid off a huge debt.

"Thanks, you guys," whimpered Miles, which reminded him to wipe the drops from his face. When he was done he presented them with kisses as a form of gratitude, with his mother especially delighted that her son showered her with more kisses than the norm. He was set on staying in his room when his dad's booming yell sent him braking his feet:

"Miles, where you think you going?"

"Ummm...I was gonna go to my room."

"What fo'? To check out those muscle-guys in the mags?"

"Daaaad..."

"Kidding! Me and your mom were going to eat dinner. Join us."

"'Aight, I'll be there. Just gotta look at something first."

"Hurry. Your mom's a'most done with her legendary asopao."

Arriving at his destination, Miles turned his twin bed over its head looking for some particular objects. He relished in his own relief when he dug them up from his pillow covers: the X-rated magazines which his parents had thankfully not confiscated. "I'll be there," he bluffed, because really he was busy stuffing the magazines down. 

They would come into use during his "me time".

When Miles came back into the kitchen, he sat on the table and had a wonderful dinner accompanied by his parents' chatter about his education in a new school and the students he'd befriended, along with any questions he had regarding his sexuality. He rejected any notions of questioning his sexuality, though. For now, he felt at peace and wanted to focus on his newfound role as Spider-Man.

And yet, there was one matter left untied.

His feelings for Edward.

You see, he had realized that, all along, he had fallen for Edward. Every visit had motivated him to continue eradicating crime as Spider-Man when nothing else could. And frankly, he had found him quite handsome. Because he had fully found himself, Miles yearned to tell Edward his love for him, and oh how he treasured his amiability, his hospitality, his strange furling smile that infected him to laugh as well, his curly marshmallow hair...

Great, he comprehended, here I am on top of a building, fawning over my dream boy, when I could be saving the common men from peril. 

Against his better judgement he called it a day from his vigilante duties, but remained on the building as he performed a back-flip of great heights. When the air hit his face and the city became apparent to him, he confirmed it to himself.

He was going to Edward's universe and come clean.