T A X I C A B

.
.
.
.
.

"Some of us are born like this, Tyler,"
he breathes,
don't beat yourself up about it."
He pauses for a second,
"Please."
I can't look him in the eye, I shove my hands into my jean pockets, awaiting the appearance of the cab so it can pick me up and take me home.
The tar on the road crunches as rubber tires connect with it, slowly pulling up near my direction.
I walk toward the yellow when he grabs my hands.
" Bye Tyler."
I withdraw slightly.
"Goodbye Josh."
I walk to the familiar taxi, the one I've been approaching, running from for years, the urges now, becoming impossible to resist. As the door clicks open, the street that once calmed me begins to fade away. It carries Josh with it into the everlasting void of black and for the first time in 3 years, I feel at peace.
The leather seat feels almost natural to sit in as I slide to it. The driver looks to me sorrowfully as the door slides shut.
"Home?"

I blink and smile peacefully.
"Home."

The vehicle smoothly glides against the cold road and I begin to feel at ease as he drives towards the light. I smile and lay back. Suddenly, everything, including the cab and driver halts. I hear a voice all around me.
" Am I alive and well or am I dreaming dead?"
A blue whisp flies in front of me.
I it turns into 3 figures, a small child, a boy about my age and a man no less than 60.
The boy stride to about a half metre away from me and looks me in the eyes, staring intently. "Tyler, we're taking you back."
My heart sinks. The child runs up to me and hugs me.
"You can't go yet silly! There's still so much stuff you need to do!"
The old man nods.
"It's true Tyler. I know the night will turn to grey, I know the stars will fade away, but all the dark will fade away. We have to steal you from your fate so you can see another day."
I tremble under his immense stare.
"The morning sun awaits you Tyler, when your time has come all your blood will wash away and all you did will be undone. You'll live in eternal happiness and be reunited with your father in heaven. However, your time is not yet here, Tyler. The father needs you, your people need you and you need to stand hand in hand with the darkness to direct others away from their journey to the light."
I stand in shock.
"Why me, I'm worthless, I'm a disappointment to my mother, my father, heck , I'm even a disappointment to my best friend!"
"Tyler, God made you and God makes no mistakes. He didn't make a mistake when you were created, he didn't make a mistake when he chose you to fufill this role."
I looks down at my feet.
" But what if I'm not good enough? What if I don't make a difference?"
"The Lord will always appreciate your efforts, no matter if they fail or succeed."
He puts a hand on my shoulder and immediately I am at ease.
"Please, Tyler," he stares at me fatherly,
" try, at least."

I relax my shoulders and close my eyes.
"I'll try."
He smiles at me.

They all step away from me.
"Now go Tyler, help those who need it most."

Everything fades to white. There's a rhythmic beeping sound to my left something holds my hand, I groan and feel it flinch.

"Tyler! You're okay!" I open my eyes to see Josh standing over me with a worried look on his face. I stared back in confusion, and then I remember everything that happened
the night before. After leaving Josh's house, went to my own and took some pills.

I burst out into tears and Josh does the same.
"Don't ever scare me again like that buddy, I thought I had really lost you this time, I can't lose you Tyler, you know that right?"
"I do now, I understand."

I smile as I think of the three figures who had spoke to me what felt like centuries ago, but was merely an hour at most. I smile as I look up to the sky and think of my purpose. In my ear, I hear the faint whisper of a man.
"The sun will be waiting Tyler, You're so brave, my boy."

I hug Josh.
I finally know my purpose