We're Going to Need a Bigger Box...

Start from the beginning

I pranced around the room, dropping off a rag in front Vienna and then Tristan with each skip. "We need to sweep, dust, scrub, shine, anything that will make all surfaces reflect my natural brilliance," I ticked off.

Tris touched a door handle and it promptly fell to the floor. "Then you might want to invest in some new surfaces," he gathered.

I slammed my fist down, which caused a bunch of dust to fly into the air. "No way! These are priceless heirlooms. Do you know how many points these relics are worth in the competition?"

"None if you end up being impaled by them," Tris deadpanned.

I rolled my eyes. "We'll lower the chances once we get everything all neat and tightened."

"Lowered to zero I hope," Asher muttered.

I slapped him on the shoulder with a grin. "Always best to keep your hopes up!"

He didn't seem satisfied by that comment.

Vi tiptoed around a fake blade. "I can't believe all of this was used back in the day. It's so cool." She opened one of the boxes that had been used to perform the Zig Zag Girl. "All it needs is a nice paint job. I can get started on that once I give this a good scrub down."

"Thank you Vienna for showing some spirit!" I hopped up on the sawing boxes. "That's what I like to hear! Now, just inform me when you need some more directing and I'll be happy to tell you what to do." I pulled out my nail file and began to get to work on one of the janky ends.

Asher spun the boxes around so that I was facing him. "It will go a lot faster if we had some help, don't ya think?"

I grinned. "Good thinking!" I bopped him on the nose with my file. "I'll call up my sister. It's the least she could do since she wants us to perform a show."

"I thought your family was against magic shows?" Tris asked.

I craned my neck over my shoulder. "They just need to see my full potential, that's all."

Asher gently moved my face back in front him. "Focus." He rested both of his hands on either side of me, trapping me between his arms. "You already know the way you want it to look so why don't you help out?"

I crossed my legs with a smile. "Promising thought but, given the fact that one of us has a way with words and can manipulate others into doing his work, I thought I should be kept on lookout."

Asher glanced around. "I never took Tris as the charismatic type."

I pushed him back with the heel of my boot.

"Alright, easy," he hurried to recover his steps as he held my foot off to the side, "don't want to ruin the true point earner of this gig." He straightened his shirt out and folded his arms. "If you're really worried about me, how about you stick close to me?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh really?"

He nodded with a grin. "It gets a bit lonely. I just want us both to have some company."

I shrugged out of my sweater. "Works for me." I twirled my finger. "Can you turn around?"

He looked confused but did it anyway. I steadily got to my feet and jumped onto his back.

"Jesus!" He grunted and stifled under the weight. "This wasn't what I really meant. I thought you just asked so you wouldn't accidentally flash me as you got down."

I tousled his hair. "Oh, I had no worries about that; not like you would complain."

Asher shrugged, hoisting me up so he could get a better grip. "You make me seem like such a scoundrel."