1 - WITH HUMANITY

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐁𝐋𝐘 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. Neon pink and blue, dancing in front of her eyes in tantalizing swirls, pockets of bright white piercing through, able to be seen long after she closed her eyes and looked away. They engulfed the darkness of the starless sky clouded by the smoke of the city, keeping the entire world awake and alive, the light reaching up towards the heavens in a sea of color so bright that no eyes could look at them straight on.

A figure squinted as she turned away from the bright lights of Times Square, looking out towards the swarm of people all with places to go and things to see, so unaware of the darkness just past the safety of the glow they basked underneath, holding miniature shields in the palms of their hands, dim lights bringing the illusion of the same safety, their screams falling upon covered ears should their lights not be enough to ward off the darkness they desperately hid from.

If one were to look on, they would see a lost seeming woman. None ever looked on, however, not in this city. Too busy for the triflings of their fellow mortal being. Not callous, just committed. Not heartless, just habitual. Too used to the lack of concern to find concern within themselves, yet filled with an awareness to know better than to be unconcerned for the safety of life in general. They weren't soulless, they just weren't surprised.

This woman—in some form of a sense—was not lost, but rather gathering herself. Adjusting to a form previously never given to her, adjusting to a new sense of terms—she, her, woman, human—adjusting to a new kind of living that she previously never possessed. She was a woman who would have fit right in if not for her unfortunate paradoxical nature; she had too much to worry to trifle with the dealings of others as she was on a mission to greatly trifle with the dealings of others.

Taking a deep breath, she proceeded to test out her new appendages, rolling her shoulders and shaking out her arms and legs, shifting her eyebrows and making shapes with her mouth. Any and all information this form once had was given to her all at once, becoming like her own, yet not, and she took a moment to speak to the soul she shared the form with.

"You are safe. Do you feel safe?" she asked, for while she was aware of far more than any other figure puttering about around her, the same could not be said for the other soul within the form.

"Yes, I feel safe. Do I have to watch everything? What you've described, I don't know if I want to see it all," the individual replied, and she inwardly nodded in a complete understanding.

"Of course not. Just go to sleep, I will wake you should I need to talk to you. Just rest. We will keep you safe," she promised, because she would not be the only one to keep the soul and the body out of harm's way, and the soul believed that as well.

She felt the other individual within the body drift from consciousness, and she took a deep breath, the form coughing immediately after, but she gained her bearings, starting to walk towards the side streets where the lights began to dim and the shadows began to shift amongst the darkness.

From what the soul knew, Hell's Kitchen wasn't far at all from Times Square. It was always interesting to her, the being controlling the form, that one of her targets was so protective of such a small area. Yet it made sense; in a vast world, there weren't many to care for the least watched.

Taking a deep breath, she began her journey, walking with purpose and no fear, a kind of walk not found in individuals parallel to the form she inhabited. She looked down at the clothes the form wore, wondering exactly where the other clothes were as, from her knowledge, the individual no longer had a place to go.