Chapter Twenty-Two

A month later I was standing in the dressing room in that stupid barbie dress. Ashley chose to put all the bridesmaids' hair in buns.

The wedding was by Lake Erie at a small country club. Ashley was wearing her wedding dress.

"It's time," said the maid of honor. I looked over at Ashley. She was smiling and almost crying.

The music started and I grabbed the arm of a man of honor and waited five seconds like in the rehearsal.

The doors opened and I saw my dad standing there in his tux.

I was almost crying now.

Ashley's uncle was marrying them and he stood at the end of the aisle with a bible in his hands. A band was playing a love song in the background.

I stood there on brides side waiting for Ashley. "Everyone rise," her uncle said. Everyone did this.

The doors opened and Ashley stood there. She had a simple flower pin in her hair. She was beautiful. She walked down the aisle. As the ceremony went on I spotted Skyler with David. Lily and Billy were sitting together. Noah was looking right at me. He gave me a small wave. I waved back, it was barely noticeable.

My little brother walked down the aisle with the rings. After exchanging rings Dad pulled Ashley into a long kiss. We all burst into applause.

***

I stood up and tapped my glass, ready to give my speech. Everyone was instantly quiet. I stood up. "My father has always been a big influence in my life. I always wanted him to be as happy as possible. I met Ashley a few months ago. At first, I hated her."

"Then I realized how amazing she truly was. She's kind, compassionate, and will make a great wife and step-mom. I'm so glad that my father found somebody who understands and challenges him. This is truly an amazing match. I'm so happy you two are married. I love you guys."

The whole room burst out in applause. I smiled and sat down.

After eating the dinner that was provided. Then Ashley and Dad had their first dance. Then the dance floor was open.

Noah quickly grabbed me and began dancing. He leaned in and whispered in my ear, "I told you everything would work out."

I smiled and said, "I guess you're right. Thank you for standing by me."

Noah chuckled. "Thanks for letting my crush of three years be worth it."

"I love you," I mumbled.

"Love you too."