Rikki hoped that that training session had taught Fi that she should be in control of her powers. Maybe the mishaps would be less frequent now.

OoOoO

When Hunter went into work over the next two days, he brought his camera and hoped to be able to corner Jessie and wet her, transforming her into her true self. However, Jessie was not there. Both she and Anna had decided that it would probably be safer if she called in sick, to avoid Hunter, to let him cool down. They both hoped that he wouldn’t do anything rash. Unknown to them, Hunter was planning how to get photographic proof of Jessie and keep it a secret so she couldn’t destroy the evidence. Did Jessie even live in a house? She was a fish, after all. Jessie couldn’t stay away forever and when she did come in to work, he would follow her to wherever she lived, whether it be on land or in the ocean. He told himself that the idea wasn’t creepy. Greed overwhelmed his morals.

Hunter barely talked to Anna. She could tell that he was mulling something over. The light behind his eyes was angry and unforgiving. She hoped in vain that what was going on in the young man’s mind was not about his mermaid colleague.

OoOoO

Rikki picked up Fi and carried her back to the village, going into the McCartney household.

“Lewis?” she called, “Are you home?” She put Fi on the floor before flopping into the couch.

He rounded the corner into the living room.

“Hey Rikki, what’s up?” Lewis asked casually as if finding Rikki relaxing on his couch uninvited was the most normal thing in the world.

“I was trying to train this trouble maker to use her powers before and I discovered something,” Rikki said. As Lewis sat down beside her, Rikki picked up said troublemaker and sat her on her lap. “Well, actually a couple of things.  The most stunning is the fact that she can breathe underwater,”

“Breathe underwater? But how?” Lewis asked. “No other mers we’ve encountered have been able to,” Lewis asked.

“I think she has gills,” Rikki stated, aware of how ridiculous that sounded. “You see the tiny freckles at that bit in her neck?”

“You mean the jugular notch?” Lewis asked,

“Whatever,” Rikki replied impatiently. “When she was underwater, bubbles were coming from those freckles. Look closer,” she instructed. She waited for Lewis to realise.

“Holes,” Lewis said. “Wow,”

“Do you think they could be some kind of gills?” Rikki asked.

“It’s hard to be sure, but if she was breathing underwater, then there must be some kind of tiny water and oxygen filter in her neck, channelling what is needed into the lungs,” Lewis said. “Maybe it is attached to the top of the trachea…we’d have to do an ultrasound to check, but that could be risky, and probably unnecessary,”

“So…”

“So, yes, I think that if she can breathe underwater, they must be. It’s fascinating! I’m sure when she gets older it will be easier to tell,”

“How is this possible?” Rikki asked. “One minute we think she’s human and the next she has gills! How is it that I am more fish than she is and I can’t breathe underwater?”

Lewis shrugged. “You know that I don’t know,” he replied. “Perhaps it is a mutation? I’ll investigate – maybe there is some folklore on it somewhere,”

A/N: Hey everyone! Sorry for the wait! Thanks so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please tell me what you thought!

Thanks so much to the following for reviewing the previous chapter!

Meredith175, SharinganX, Mysticfantisies5, SugarUnicorn16, LisaStypadhorlikson, camila1495, littlebreebird, Vampiiress, LeighGrotens, Eternal_Flame, redranger, jjgirl123101, _swaN_, EvynlinDiae, K_Lynch29, and Ti_amo_mi_amo

I love you all! Thanks.