Chapter Thirty-Seven: I Kind of Wanted to Eat That...

Start from the beginning

My eyes narrow as a sneaking suspicion grows. "You're not human, are you?"

The cab driver flexes his shoulders and, just for an instant, I swear I see the shadow of wings unfold.

"You're an...and you drive a cab?" I'm astonished at the idea of it.

"I work for The Angel Cab Company," the cabbie says. "Printed right there on the side of the taxi, but I can see you didn't bother to notice."

He's right, but then again, there are so many quirky cab names in the city, why would 'Angel Cab Company' be any different than the others? "Did God send you here to watch over us?"

He laughs again. "God gives us as much free will as He gives you."

My eyebrows rise. That's an interesting concept. I wonder what Father Moss would make of it. "Since you guys...angels...exist, do demons? Do you, like, battle it out?"

"You've been watching too much television," he replies. "But as far as demons go, you're asking me that? You've got a hell hound for a friend, don't you?" He turns on his signal and merges over to the curb. "We're here."

"Ummm...okay, thanks." I'm still a bit floored by the fact that a freakin' angel just drove me to my destination. Talk about service!

"Tell Nacelles to call the cab company when you're done. One of us will come pick you up."

"How many of you are there?"

"Cabbies? We number in the multitudes," he replies with a smile.

Not exactly what I meant, but I suspect he knows that. I pause with one hand on the door latch. "Does that mean angels aren't in Heaven anymore?"

"Some of us live here, some of us live there. As I said, it's all about free will. There will always be angels in both places, just like there will always be demons to balance us out both here and in Hell."

And just like that, my mind is blown. I think I'm done with this conversation. I definitely don't want any information on how many demons are roaming the streets of Atlanta. I'd never sleep again. I open the door. The sidewalk in front of the club is hoppin'. The bouncer is trying to turn the milling crowd into something resembling a straight line. I close the cab door and walk to the front of the nebulous demarcation.

"Hey, that's not fair, cutting in line!" "Why does she get in first??"

The protests rise, but I ignore them. Explaining I'm not going to the club when I'm walking in the front doors would just be an exercise in futility. The bouncer lets me in. Good memory, I guess.

The noise hits me square in the face. Good thing I love swing music. All the tables are full and it's standing room only close to the stage. It doesn't take me long, even in my distracted state, to notice why. The woman onstage is breathtaking, and it's not just her voice, which sounds like a chorus of angels. It's the freakin' wings of fire that flow off her back and trail sparks as she paces from one side of the stage to the other. I want to watch her, but I have the sneaking suspicion Nacelles would not understand my fascination. I navigate the undulating sea of people, skirting the edges of the crowd, heading straight for the secret door and Nacelles' staircase. No-one pays any attention to me and I reach the door at the bottom in record time. It stands open, almost like an invitation. Tucker is nowhere in sight. Instead, Maxx is waiting on me. I can't help myself. I smile.

"Hey, Maxx, are you here to escort me to my cell?" I try to joke about it, but I can hear the nervousness in my own voice.

"Nacelles thought it might be easier if I was here," the hell hound replies. He looks at me. "It will be all right, Isisss. His experiment will not harm you."

I wish I could be as sure as he is, but I just nod and follow him down the hall that never ends. Until, y'know, it ends in the cell, which is weird but down here we're playing by Nacelles's rules. The cell takes up the entire width of the hall and it's got a bed that looks more comfy than the one currently in my apartment. That's not what I expected, and not so bad. I'm pretty sure I can deal with it.

"So how does this work?" I turn around to speak to Maxx and find myself facing Nacelles instead. That's relatively disconcerting.

"Once you're settled in, I'll array a sample of raw brains on covered plates just outside the cell," the lich explains. "When I uncover each plate, you'll smell the brains and tell me what, if any, reaction you have."

"I thought I had to eat them..." I trail off when I realize I sound kind of disappointed. Yuck.

Nacelles laughs; it's like he knows what I'm feeling. Who knows, maybe he does. "I considered it for a time, but if you're dreaming of eating humans, I'd rather not risk it."

I look around. "So what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Twiddle my thumbs?" It's snarky; I know it is, but my nerves have gotten the better of me. "Can I go back upstairs and listen to the singer?"

The lich shakes his head. "I'm afraid our experiments can't wait, and Phoenix is only in town for a short while. Besides, it's past time I fed the ghouls, and you would not be able to return. I'll come back once that is done, and we can get started."

"Is she an actual phoenix, or is that just a stage name?"

"Her story is...complicated," Nacelles replies, "and doesn't get us any closer to your brain conundrum. The cell, if you please."

I walk inside and close the door. "Do I get something to eat, too?"

"You didn't eat before you came?" The lich asks.

"Well, no. I kind of thought the point was to come hungry, so I could taste test..." I trail off when I realize how weird that sounds.

"I will ensure you're brought some pork brains," he replies. "Since we already know you can stomach those."

Gee, he sounds so magnanimous, allowing me to eat before subjecting me to his experiments. I almost feel warm and fuzzy.

"I will keep you company," Maxx offers.

Nacelles raises his almost invisible eyebrows as he looks at first Maxx, then me. "It appears my companion has taken a liking to you."

"She introduced me to chicken." Maxx licks his chops.

"I took him to KFC once," I sound defensive even to myself.

"I see," Nacelles replies. "Stay if you wish, Maxx. I don't need your services tonight."

The enormous hound lies down in front of the cell door and rests his giant head on his paws.

I don't want to see those skinny, shark toothed ghouls that'll be wandering around down here. The idea is terrifying, since I'm at least somewhat alive and they eat flesh. I have no idea how strong they are and if they can get in the cell, I'm so screwed. But I do trust Maxx and I think that's enough to keep me safe. I sit on the bed, lean back against the wall and close my eyes.

"What are you doing, Isisss?"

I open my eyes. The hallway is empty, except for Maxx. "I'm willing the ghouls not to come in here," I admit. It sounds stupid now that I'm saying it out loud.

He tilts his giant head to look at me. "There are no ghouls here," he states. "However, Nacelles has not released them yet, and even if he had, you would not be able to will them away with the power of your mind. You are flesh and they are hungry."

Great. I can't wait 'til they get here, then.

"I can keep you safe." Maxx understands my apprehension, though I can't imagine anything big enough to scare him.

"Thanks," I say, right as the weird growling moans I've heard before echo down the hall. Oh yay. It's dinner time.