[22] little athletes

Start from the beginning

"Oh my God, Bruno, sit down," Elise laughed as she covered my mouth with her hand, noticing we acquired disapproving looks from the other parents. "I thought you said you didn't want to attract too much attention and you are aware your seven-year-old daughter is next to you."

"But did you see what Aaron did?!? He's a damn good striker, El!" I burst in excitement, meeting her beautiful green eyes.

"I did, I did," she said in between hysterics and she brought a finger to her lips. "Now shhh and let's watch the game."

"AARON!" I ran towards my son and engulfed him in a bone-crushing embrace, kissing the top of his sweaty head. "I'm so so proud of you!"

He laughed, hugging me back and buried his head deeper in my chest. "Thank you dad." He looked up at me and flashed me a sad smile, "I just wish mom was here to see that. I dedicated that game to her."

I returned his expression and ruffled his hair. "She was watching, alright. Maybe not physically, but I'm pretty sure when you guys won, she was right there cheering for you."

He nodded weekly and pulled away from me before proceeding to hug Elise and then his sister.

"Ew, get away from me!" she yelled as he ran after her with his arms wide open, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "I don't wanna hug you all sweaty!"

"Come on, Anelah!" he joked and laughed as they ran around the locker rooms. "Give your bro a hug!"

"NO!" she screeched, slipping behind me and held on to me for dear life. "Daddy, save me."

I laughed and shook my head. Watching them reminded me of my siblings and I's relationship when we were their age. "Alright, that's enough. Go and get your things Aaron. Your sister has to prepare for tomorrow."

He snickered and rushed off to shower.

.

"Daddy, I'm nervous," Anelah said as I struggled to tuck her curly locks under her rubber swim cap.

"It's okay to be nervous, darling," I said to her with an assuring smile. "Just do your best. This is what you've practiced for, right?"

She nodded weakly.

"And maybe you can dedicate this to your mommy, just like what Aaron did to win yesterday," I added to motivate her further. "Do you remember that?"

"Yeah," she whispered.

"That's my girl." I gave her a big kiss on her cheek, making her giggle and wrap her arms around my neck. "You do well out there, alright? And daddy's gonna take you to the beach tomorrow or anywhere you want to go."

"Okay!" she enthusiastically replied, a big smile blossoming on her pretty face as I hugged her tightly before letting her go towards the pool.

I climbed up the grandstand and took a seat between Aaron and Elise. "She's gonna be alright."

"Of course she is," Aaron laughed next to me. "She was the best swimmer in her grade back in Hawaii, dad."

"Really?" I lifted a brow, interested.

"Yeah, Principal Miller loved her," he added with a chuckle. "But she's always like that during competitions. She gets scared. I don't know what for. She wins everything anyway."

"I'm already excited," Elise whispered in my ear making me smile in agreement.

"I'm ready to watch my little girl win."

"And we begin event Number 4, girls aged 7 to 8 to swim 200 meters Freestyle," the person over the public address system announced.

I watched young girls, who are about Anelah's age, begin to approach diving boards overlooking the 50-meter swimming pool. A long blow of the whistle cut through the tense silence of the stadium and slowly, the girls were in their starting positions.