Chapter 1

"Are you as excited as I am?" your best friend Jessica, or J for short, exclaimed.

"Yeah, if course I'm excited. Probably not as excited as you, though," you said, grinning. you pushed your h/c hair behind your ears and got in the car.

"Let's gooo!" J said excitedly as she got in the car, waiting for you. You got in the car, examining the beat-up seats, broken radio, and cracked dashboard. It didn't look the same since you saw it last. It used to be extremely nice, for the kind of car it was. The inside and the outside didn't look as beat up as it did now.

"Uh... what happened?" you asked.

"Oh, I uh... got in a few wrecks," she said nervously. A few wrecks? This definitely didn't look like a few wrecks.

You just laughed a bit as she put the car in reverse, backing out if her driveway. You were a bit scared that the brakes would suddenly stop working or the radio would blow a fuse, but you just shook off the feeling. You were about to go to a carnival with your 5-year best friend. You two had already planned out what you were going to do there; when you were going to eat, what rides you were going to ride, things like that. J had also planned to meet some people there. One was a boy that she met on a dating website, and the other was an old friend of hers that she thought you would like.

You two sat in the car for about 20 minutes, talking about school, friends, and completely random things. The engine sputtered some smoke every one in a while, but you tried not to pay any attention to it. You couldn't help yourself, though.

"Are you sure that this car is... safe? To be driving in, I mean."

"Yeah, it's fine. Don't worry so much!" she laughed. She was always the type to have no worries. She never took anything that seriously, besides friendships and dating. You, however, were one to worry. You would worry about the small things, but you would never mention them to anyone unless you thought it was a threat to them.

"We're here!" J chirped as she opened the car door. She looked up in amazement, running towards your door. She quickly opened your door, too, and you got out. You looked at the carnival, amazed, but not in the way you wanted to be.