t h i r t e e n

SATURDAYS WERE AMAZING at Caldwell

SATURDAYS WERE AMAZING at Caldwell. It was so quiet even though it was almost half past ten in the morning. Most students eligible have already left the school premise, trying to get as far away as possible and pretending to be normal if only for a day. 

Because of my on going detention, I'm not allowed to leave the school grounds at all. 

I only have trainings on school days but I woke up early this morning, because the universe hates me like that, so I decided to go swimming anyway. I had spent last weekend here which was different but nice. Vera and Penelope stayed too and we spent most of our days together as the three musketeers. 

Adjusting my bag on my shoulder, I climb the last step just as Luke walks out of his dorm room further down the hall. He smiles at me softly and with the morning light streaking through the large window behind him, he looked like an angel. 

"Good morning." He beams brightly as I return the smile and take my keys out for my door. 

"Hey." I greet as I unlock my dorm key and push open the door. Chase wasn't in there thankfully and I place my bag onto my chair. I turn around and leave instantly, locking the door behind me as I turn to face Luke who was now waiting outside. 

We had made plans yesterday to get breakfast together this morning. We make small talk on our way to the dining hall which was only slightly crowded when we pushed through the double doors. We score a table by a window, overlooking the lake outside. 

The dining hall always made me happy. It was basically my home away from home. As a treat for those who stay at school for the weekend, they serve pancakes, bacon and eggs for breakfast and I ordered a serving for two. 

Of course they were both for me. Luke order boring oatmeal. 

"I like a girl who can eat." Luke remarks as I glance up at him, from cheeks full of pancakes and my lips most definitely covered in bacon grease.

I smile awkwardly with my mouth still full, "Ha." 

I then glance down and quickly swallow, my cheeks a burning red. Once I finally managed to swallow the unnecessarily large bit of pancake I had hostage in my mouth, I take a sip of my orange juice and wipe my mouth. 

"I want to do this again." Luke hums as he places his spoon in his now empty bowl and leans back in his chair. 

I nod with a bright smile, "They're serving french toast and nutella tomorrow which I'm super excited for-"

"Not here." Luke chuckles at my ignorance, "I mean, I want to take you out, Hayden."

I pause and gawk at him. Then, "Like on a date?" 

"Of course on a date." Luke chuckles at me, "Seriously, how cute can you possibly be?" 

Cue the blush again.

"I-uh-um..." I trail off as I wring my hands together, "Sure."