Chapter One: The Calm...

Hello readers!

This is my first ever story to write. I'm a big fan of the rejected mates stories on here so I thought I'd try my hand at one for myself. This is very cliche I'm sure, but I'm trying to work on my writing skills so what better way than asking others what they think.

Please comment and enjoy.

P.S. This first chapter is an introduction so not too much happens, but stick it out, please.

*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter One: The Calm...

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping merrily outside my window. I stretched and sighed in contentment. The mornings were my favorite time of day. Really, it was the only time I had peace. I listened to make sure that there wasn’t anyone awake. I heard snoring coming from two different directions. The loudest snores were from my father in the master wing of the house. The other snores were coming from down stairs. That would be Camden. In the room across from him, I could hear Caiden’s steady breathing.

When he finally said I could leave I swiftly exited. I headed to the bathroom to inspect the damage to my face. I was already bruising. Since I hadn’t shifted yet, I healed at a normal human rate. When I heard everyone leave for the day, I headed upstairs to cover up my bruised face before starting on the days work. It was going to be a long day. I rolled up my sleeves and got started.

I ran five miles before I turned back. It was very quiet in the woods. The only sounds to be heard were the skittering of animals and the light thumping of my feet as I ran. This trail was well used, so I didn’t have to worry about tripping over tree limbs. I could just look around me at the beautiful golden colored leaves that were scattering the ground and the trees that looked so naked without them. Now and then I would see a bird take flight or a small rodent bravely escape it’s hiding place. Looking around me it was easy to forget the troubles that hounded me everyday. My father who would snap at me for the slightest provocation, my brothers who either ignored me, or in Camden’s case, tormented me in front of his friends for sport. I didn’t have to think about the heckling I received each day from the wolves who viewed me as a dud because I was smaller and not as strong as the others.

I shook my head and picked up speed in hopes of ridding my head of the negative thoughts. I wouldn’t worry about such things now. For now, I would enjoy my time alone. When I reached the house, I quietly made my way up to my room where I stripped out of my sweaty clothes. I ran a warm bubble bath to sooth my muscles and poured in some eucalyptus, mint and lavender to calm me for the day ahead.

After my long relaxing soak, I dried off, lotioned up and headed over to my closet. There wasn’t much there. I think the only reason my father bothered to buy me clothes at all was so that his image wouldn’t be damaged. Whenever my clothes started to show signs of wear and tear, my father would have one of his women go shopping for a new wardrobe for me. Sometimes, if the lady was really nice, she would bring me along. He couldn’t refuse because that would make him look bad, but shortly after, he would dump her, saying she was too soft.

The pack, as a collective, believed that as a wolf, both males and females should be strong physically, mentally, and emotionally. We didn’t become the strongest pack for nothing. Everyone was honed to perfection. Training was brutal, education was drilled into our heads, and we were all expected to act the part or suffer the consequences. To the pack, I was a lost cause because I was so small and I was very sickly as a child. My father said I wasn’t worthy of doing the things the other wolves do, so I wasn’t aloud to join in their training or go to school or other events they had. The only reason I wasn’t kicked out of the pack was because my father was beta. He couldn’t very well suggest such a thing to the Alpha. That would make him look bad, and he was all about appearances. It was bad enough he got stuck with me, he just had to make the best of it, he would say.

Looking into the full length mirror on my closet I chose a pair of faded jeans (faded with age, not from style) and a grey sweater. These clothes were picked out by Bunny…or Bambi, something like that. I cant actually remember her name. She got them for me three years ago, and she couldn’t stand the thought of someone stealing the attention away from her- not that she had to worry about that from me- so she got all dull colors, mostly greys, browns and blacks. Everything she bought was way too big, but that was good for me now, because I had grown into them a bit.

Before I dressed I looked at myself. I was thin and unhealthy looking because dad limited my food intake. He said the only thing worse than a useless daughter was a fat, useless daughter. My face was heart-shaped and almost gaunt. My eyes were green or brown depending on the light and my mood. Right now they were green because I was still basking in the joys of my morning freedom. My black hair was curly and damp hanging down to my waist. I always had to pin in up. Mom had the same long, curly black hair as me and whenever I used to let it hang loose dad would complain and have me cut it off. As I got dressed for the day and piled my heavy locks on the top of my head and grabbed a scarf to cover my hair, my mood slowly began to dwindle. I had about an hour and a half before my dad and brothers woke up for the day. I headed downstairs and began making breakfast. I made lots of bacon and sausage, pancakes and two dozen scrambled eggs. I poured apple juice, orange juice and homemade sweet tea into pitchers and set the table. Once all the food was on the table, I retreated back to the kitchen with a few eggs and a couple slices of bacon I swiped. I scarfed it down, rinsed the evidence out of my mouth and started cleaning the kitchen as my father and brothers ate.

“Sophie.” I froze at hearing the chilly tone of my father’s voice. His voice always sounded like that when he was talking to me, so it didn’t necessarily mean I was in trouble. I walked quickly into the other room with my head down. I was forbidden to look him in the eye. I waited patiently, knowing not to talk unless given permission. I could feel my fathers eyes boring into my bowed head. My heart was racing as he continued to stare at me without speaking. If I dared look up, I knew what I would see. My father would be looking at me with cold, brown, slitted eyes. He would be looking dapper in one of his expensive suits with his golden, blond hair brushed back neatly. My brothers look just like him. The only difference is that Camden and Caiden would be in their school uniforms.

“Alpha Darius and his family are coming here for dinner tonight to celebrate his eighteenth name day," Dad finally said. " I want you to prepare a feast fit for a king, is that understood?” My father growled out.

“Yes sir.” I whispered without looking up.

“I want you to clean the formal dinning and sitting rooms until they sparkle as well as the foyer. I will be in and out throughout the day to inspect your work. If you don’t complete your tasks well and in a timely manner, you will be locked in the dungeons for a month.”

“Yes s…” I received a hard fist to the side of my face and fell to the floor. I didn’t dare make a sound. I heard Camden smirk from his place at the table.

“I did not tell you to speak. Just get your work done.” I got up off the floor and waited to be dismissed.

When he finally said I could leave I swiftly exited. I headed to the bathroom to inspect the damage to my face. I was already bruising. Since I hadn’t shifted yet, I healed at a normal human rate. When I heard everyone leave for the day, I headed upstairs to cover up my bruised face before starting on the days work. It was going to be a long day. I rolled up my sleeves and got started.

*~*~*~*~*

Hope you all enjoy. Please comment C: