[17] Tears Don't Fall

SEVENTEEN:

© All Rights Reserved - 2012 S. M. Palmer

{Thursday, October 13, 2016}

THE NEXT NIGHT, WE INVITED our parents over for dinner. I helped Liam cut up his chicken and then took my place beside Jason. "So, Maci, what important news do you have to tell us?" asked my stepdad, Rylan. (You see, my mom got remarried a year and a half ago. So now Rylan's my stepdad, Jason's father-in-law, and Zelda and Liam's grandpa).

"Well, um, uh. . ."

"Let's wait until after dinner," Jason cut in. "It'd be a lot easier of we waited until after dinner."

I shot him a smile and then returned to my dinner. After dinner, Mom and Jamie helped me pass out dessert. We ate our dessert in silence. When everyone finished, Zelda and Jason cleaned the table and then we all went into the living room. (Well, everyone except for Zelda and Liam. They went upstairs to their rooms to play).

"So, Maci," my mom asked, "what is it that you need to tell us?"

I exhaled a deep breath. "Well, Mom, Jamie, Rylan, and Michael, I'm pregnant."

"Honey, that's fantastic," Mom answered. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, Mom."

I turned to Jason's parents. They looked really pissed. "We're married," I replied angrily to them. "It's not like when we had sex at thirteen and fifteen."

His parents didn't even acknowledge him. They just got up and left. "Well, that was rude," Jason murmured.

I nodded my head in agreement. Mom turned to us. "Well, it's getting late. We better be getting home. And congratulations on the pregnancy. I bet you two are really excited."

"We are," I answered, smiling at Mom.

Before Mom left, she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and did the same with Jason and then left. I shut the front door behind her and turned to Jason. "I'm going to go give Zelda and Liam their showers."

"Okay," he answered, smiling at me.

I climbed the stairs and entered Liam and Zelda's room. (Yes, they share a room. Even though there's a few years age difference. It just the house we have only has three bedrooms. And we're trying to save the third bedroom as a guest room). "Liam, you want to take your shower?"

"Okay, Momma," he answered. He got up from playing with his Hot Wheels cars and went into the bathroom to take his shower.

After they both had their showers and were ready for bed, I tucked each one in bed. "Goodnight, Zelda and Liam. I love you."

"Night, Momma," they whispered. I shut their overhead light off and went downstairs. Jason was lounging on the couch, watching a rerun of Top Shot. I crawled onto the couch with him. "Are Zelda and Liam asleep?"

"Yep. I just put them to sleep. You want to watch Friends With Benefits?" I asked.

"Sure. Put it in."

So that's what I did. For the next hour and a half, we watched Friends With Benefits.

When the movie was over, I brought the popcorn bowl into the kitchen and put it in the dishwasher. That's when Jason spoke. "Oh, yeah, I'm leaving first thing tomorrow morning."

"Why?" I asked, looking at him.

"Business trip," he answered simply. "And I won't be back until Tuesday, possibly Wednesday."

"Oh."

"Sorry, I didn't tell you sooner," he mumbled.

"It's okay," I answered.