Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

"Melody! Jeez, I've been looking everywhere for you! Have you seen Jesse yet?" Hannah said as she bounded over. She looked beautiful, her long framing her face like a veil. I shook my head, not mentioning the fact that I didn't want to see him. "Well he better get here soon. Or the entire basketball team is going to go on a rampage!"

I noticed she was peering over my shoulder and I looked to see several members of the team standing around, including Palmer. He looked disheveled and mindless, his messy curls even messier, his face pale and emotionless. "He knows something," I said.

Hannah snorted and turned around again, this time her eyes locking on something else. I could tell by the way they widened. It was a mix of astonishment and disbelief. "Oh my God."

I let my eyes wander in the direction she was looking, my eyes landing right on three moving figures. It was Jesse and his parents. He was wearing a pair of black sunglasses, his lips set into a grim line as he let his parents lead him through the halls. His mother had a look of pure hatred and guilt while his father simply looked, well, pissed. 

"I can't believe this. That explosion made Jesse blind!" Hannah squealed, continuing to watch as Jesse and his parents walked right into the principals office. I twisted my head to see Palmer and the others quickly walking away from the scene.

The only person who stayed was Jesse's good friend Damien. Instead of turning away, I watched him as he walked right into the office, not even bothering to knock. I smiled to myself, glad that after all this, Jesse had a friend who wasn't completely ready to judge him. Because he'd probably have a hard time getting some new ones. 

I rolled my eyes as everyone instantly started the gossip. "Let's get to class," I said to Hannah, grabbing her hand and dragging her behind me. I shoved my way through the immobile group of people still staring at the office door, hounding it like paparazzi awaiting a celebrity. 

~Jesse~

I couldn't see. My whole world was a damn sheet of black thanks to that stupid car accident. I felt completely alone, even with the comfort of my moms hand on my shoulder. I knew she was there, but if she hadn't been touching me, or crying, I'd probably never have known. 

"Well this is definitely going to change a lot of things for you, Jesse," Principal Morrison said from somewhere in front of me. I clenched my jaw together, my shoulders suddenly becoming very tense. 

"You think I don't know that?" I practically yelled. I wanted to stand up, face the man head on, but I couldn't if I tried. My moms hand kept me firm in place. "This is the stupidest thing. I can't even play basketball anymore, what does that do for me? I had it all planned. I was going to get a scholarship and everything if we kept our winning streak, and then this bullshit happens!" I said, ignoring the quiet plea's of my mother, begging me to stop. 

My dad's clipped voice filled the room. "Watch your mouth, Jesse," he said to my left. I just stayed still. I didn't know what to do anymore. I didn't understand why God was punishing me so harshly. 

"Mr. Larson, I can take Jesse to class if you'd like," a new voice said. Damien? I had barely even heard him walk in. I guess my dad must've nodded because I was instantly helped out of my chair, and out of the office. As soon as the door clicked behind me, the bickering started back up again.