My mind flashing back to the present, I took another involuntary step back. "Natasha, please...you have to believe me. I don't remember. It wasn't me." His eyes were wide. "Remember I told you the creatures could take control of my body? Remember? That must have been what happened." He paused and added in a pleading voice, "please."

I looked at him, concerned. He looked desperate. His eyebrows were angled upward, and there was a stressed crease between them.

I heaved a long sigh. "I believe you," I said after a while. I stepped toward the glass cage, and Loki gave me a small, relieved half-smile. I pressed my hand on the glass next to his, so the only thing separating our touch was the glass. I then glanced at the camera to my right and pulled away. "When you - the creature - attacked me, it had your body but your eyes...your teeth, your voice. It wasn't you. So... I believe you."

Loki let out a sigh of relief. "Yes. It wasn't me."

I lowered my gaze, feeling relief wash over me. I knew he wouldn't do something like that.

"So...when am I getting out of here?" He asked, and I bit my lip not meeting his gaze.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I whispered.

"What?"

"I don't think that's a good idea." I repeated, louder this time. I met his gaze. His eyebrows were furrowed, and he looked angry.

He opened his mouth but words didn't come. Finally, jaw set, he spoke.

"But I cooperated with you. I did everything you asked me to do. I risked my life for you." He sounded angry and desperate. "I won't hurt you, Natasha."

"I'm sorry, Loki. I just don't think that would be the best idea. It's not safe. These creatures - they can take control of you body whenever they like and-" I tried to reason with him but he interrupted me.

"No, they can't. It takes a great deal of magic to take control of someone else's body. And magic takes a great deal of time to build up. It'll take a while, Natasha. It would be safe."

"It's still unpredictable, Loki. It's not safe."

"I won't hurt you, Natasha." He repeated. He stared at my face for a second, his eyes going from angry to disappointed. "You don't trust me, do you?"

My response blurted out of my mouth before I could stop it. "How could I?"

I watched as Loki closed his mouth and clenched his jaw. "Right. How could you possibly trust me?" He turned away from me and walked over to the one seat in his cell. Seeing this as my time to leave, I bit my bottom lip and turned around, walking out of the room.

I sat down on the bench and let my head fall back against the glass. I felt tears spring up in my eyes, but I blinked them away. My teeth were clenched, my lips pursed, I tried to think. Maybe she was right, maybe it was better this way. I just hated, hated being in a cell. I missed Asgard where I could roam freely, where everything was big and grand. Where I had power. Why did I give that all up?

It wasn't you, I reminded myself. And it was true. My head was so much clearer after New York, now that I was with Natasha everyday. I knew my head wasn't in the right place when I attacked Earth. What Coulson said was true. I had lacked conviction.

There was suddenly a brilliant, blinding flash of light that filled my cell, making me blink several times to get my eyes to adjust. The first thing I noticed was that there were strange but horribly familiar scorch marks on the floor of my cell making a pattern.