“Can you tell me…” Doug’s voice cracked.  “We weren’t sure… There is a possibility that she’s pregnant.”

“I can’t give you any medical information other than that pertaining to the surgery and recovery without Ms. Porter’s consent.”  The doctor met Doug’s gaze head on.  “I can tell you that an appendectomy in the first trimester, especially a laproscopic procedure, should have little to no effect on a pregnancy.”

“So you can’t, or won’t, tell me if she’s pregnant,” Doug said slowly.  “But if she was pregnant before the surgery, she’s still pregnant now.”

“Exactly.”  Dr. Hollern smiled.  “You can both go on in.  The recovery room is usually empty at this time of the night, so you should have some privacy until Ms. Porter wakes up again.  When she’s ready, she’ll be moved to a room for the night.”

Dr. Hollern pushed open the doors and gestured for the men to enter the recovery room.

****

“So.” Thad leaned back in the stiff chair a nurse had dragged into the cubicle.

“So,” Doug repeated.  He refused to sit, instead standing at Eve’s bedside.  He wanted to be the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes again.

“Are you done being stupid?”

Doug snorted.  “You have such a way with words.”

“I guess we’re still in the avoidance stage,” Thad said.

“I’m not avoiding anything.  I just want her to wake up so I can see for myself that she’s okay.”

“Because you lo—”

“Of course I care about her,” Doug snapped.  “That doesn’t mean I’m in love with her.  You need to knock this shit off.”

Thad held his hands up in mock surrender.  “Don’t blame me when your idiocy leads you down a path of misery and loneliness.”

“You can go home any time now,” Doug said disgustedly.

“And desert my best friend while his woman is still unconscious? Pfft.  What kind of friend would that make me?”

“The kind that’s still a friend tomorrow,” Doug told him.

“Well how do you like that?” Thad needled.  “I run out of my house at midnight, leaving my family alone to fend for themselves against trespassers and thieves—”

“Would you two please shut up?” Eve’s voice was groggy and lethargic.

“Eve, sweetheart,” Doug’s voice was saccharine sweet.  “Can you open your eyes and look at us?”