Chapter Sixteen--Part One

Eve stirred the sauce absently while shuffling through the mail.  Since their night out, the tension between Doug and Eve had evaporated.  Eve was thankful, but worried as well.  In the space of a week, she felt like she went from the roller coaster to the rut.  There were no more arguments or tension, but there were no more lingering looks or hot kisses either.  Her period had yet to arrive, but it wasn’t quite due.  Doug didn’t ask about it; Eve didn’t offer information.  They were truly drifting along as roommates.

A hissing pop drew Eve’s attention back to the pan currently bubbling over.  At some point in her perusal of junk mail and bills her wooden spoon had lifted from the sauce and was circling the air above it.

“Damn it,” she muttered turning the knob until the flame died.

“Eve?” Doug’s voice boomed through the apartment as the front door latched audibly.

“In the kitchen,” she called.

“Something smells good,” Doug said striding into the room.

“Just spaghetti tonight,” Eve said.  “I need to toss the salad and then everything is ready.”

“You don’t have to cook every night, you know,” Doug told her.

Eve’s breath caught as Doug’s presence seemed to shrink the luxury kitchen to the size of a closet.  She turned her back to him so he wouldn’t see how affected she was by his proximity.

“I like cooking.”

“Are you okay?  You sound a little hoarse?”

“I’m fine,” Eve said.  “And I enjoy making dinner.  It’s been a long time since I had the time and energy to cook decent meals.”

Doug raised his hands in defeat and flashed a smile.  “You win, you win.  Besides, I like your cooking.”

Eve shot him a dirty look, but didn’t respond.  She grabbed plates and silverware and quickly set the table.

“Emma isn’t joining us for dinner?” Doug questioned when she only set two places.

“Her day group is having a post-holiday party,” Eve said.  “I don’t expect her home for another hour.”

Doug frowned.  “Are you sure it’s a good idea for her to be away from home for so long?”  He sat at the table and watched Eve grab the bowl of salad from the refrigerator.

“She’s really responding to this program,” Eve said defensively.  “It’s good for her to socialize.”

“I know, but she’s still not very verbal.  How would we know if something or someone upset her or hurt her?”

Eve sat across from him and glared.  “I think we would be able to tell if something upset her.  She’s been happier lately, more open.”