22. Faster, better, stronger

"Nicolas?" I asked as I sat at the dining table of the Barton kitchen

   "Nicolas?" I asked as I sat at the dining table of the Barton kitchen. He smiles at me knowingly. "What the hell," I say quietly standing forcing him into a hug. I could hear him rolling his eyes. I pulled away sitting back down. Laura placed some food down in front of me causing me to smile wide. "Thank you," I picked up the fork and started eating as Nick started talking.

   "Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing," Nick says

   "What about Ultron himself?" Steve asks

   "Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though," Nick says he glanced at me as I shoved more food into my mouth.

   "He still going after launch codes?" Tony asks

   "Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway," Nick assures I lean back in my chair listening to them talk.

   "I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony says looking at Nick in disbelief.

   "Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that," Nick says almost sounding smug. I shook my head as I picked at my food again taking another bite of this delicious meal.

   "NEXUS?" Steve asks I look up shallowing my food

   "It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth," I tell him he nods softly

   "So what'd they say?" Clint asks looking between Nick and I. I look at Nick with raised eyebrows waiting for his answer to Clint's question.

   "He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed," Nick explains

   "By whom?" Tony asks

   "Parties unknown," Nick answers ominously

   "Do we have an ally?" Nat asks

   "Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Nick says Tony turns to look at Nick.

   "I might need to visit Oslo, find our 'unknown,'" Tony snarks though he might be serious

   "Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that," Nat tells Nick. I point at her in agreement before picking up another forkful of food.

   "I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard," Nick says I smirked looking at Steve

   "Steve doesn't like that kind of talk," Nat teases causing me to giggle quietly to myself.

   "You know what, Romanoff?" Steve says as Nat smirks mischievously at him and he smiled lightly.

   "So what does he want?" Nick asks

  "He wants to become bigger, badder," I say "He's building bodies to be faster, better. Stronger than us,"

   "Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it," Tony says as an additive to my statement. I nod in agreement

   "When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed," Nat says looking at Tony and Bruce.

   "They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve," Bruce says looking at the picture that Lila had given Nat of a butterfly.

   "How?" Nick and I said in unison

   "Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" He asks as we sit in realization.