Chapter 31 - Voicenote

Start from the beginning

Her voice breaks.

"Honestly, I don't know much about you. When I sent you the money, it was because I know the struggle of being an up and coming artist, always on the road, never with your family. Still barely making enough to support them. I sent that money because I saw myself in your struggle. I was sympathetic." I say my voice calm.

"I know. I know. And I am so thankful for that. I can show you receipts, my Ma and brother used it for food and new school clothes. I can show that to you." Coca wipes the tears from her eyes. "But that money is gone, Prod. That's done. Their rent is due on the first and they can't pay it. Mom hit me saying she just got fired, literally the morning after I got back to Philly. Please understand where I'm coming from"

"I do understand where you're coming from but I'm not collateral damage, Coca. This isn't the way to solve your problems." My voice softens, though I don't want it to.

"Your folks are out the ghetto! You're good! They're eating now, they aren't about to be evicted. I cant fucking sleep thinking about this shit. I can't write music, I can barely perform. My head is all fucked up. I'm sorry this includes you, I really am." She wipes her eyes again, but new tears replace it. "But I have to take care of my family."

"So, ruining my life in the process doesn't matter. Fuck that, right?" I question.

"She will forgive you." Coca croaks.

I pick up my phone, the recording screen present and I hold it to the webcam.

"She will and so will everyone else." I say easily.

Coca's face freezes and for a moment I think it's the internet connection.

"Please, Prodigy. Please. I'm begging you not to release that." She cries harder now, her hand over her mouth. I end the recording and put the phone down.

"Please." She pleads and begs and cries. I look away from the camera. I feel my heart changing. I clench my fists and curse under my breath.

"Fuck, man." I let out. I take a deep breath and exhale it slowly, my eyes closed.

"Okay, listen. You've been playing it safe and not confirming or denying the rumors. I need you to stop leading them on and I need Chanel to know this was all a lie." I look at her seriously. She stares at me with large watering eyes, listening closely.

"I'm going to give you a chance to come clean on your own. As much as I dislike you and as betrayed as I feel for being sympathetic, I don't want to embarrass you with this recording. I don't want to embarrass you like you did to me." I trail off, sympathy present in my voice again.

She places her head in her hand.

I know my patience and understanding is all due to Mom and I curse myself for it. That even after someone has done me wrong, it isn't in my heart to want the same for them. I see it with Chanel and I see it now in Coca who sits before me weeping into her hand. The tears wetting parts of her blue tank top.

She nods repeatedly.

"Okay. Okay, you have my word." Her voice is hoarse. she pushes her hair out of her face that has come lose from her ponytail and wipes her eyes again.

"As soon as I see any kind of press or statement of you telling the truth, I'll screen record me deleting the voice note and send it right over to you." I say bluntly.

"How do I know you're not going to save a copy somewhere else?" She sniffles in between her words.

"Because I'm not a fucked up person, Coca. Release a statement. The sooner the better. I'd like to go home to my girlfriend." I answer sternly.

She nods and the call ends.

I save the recording and close my phone.

_______________________________________

The driver lightly places my suitcase on the wooden floors of the mansion. I turn to the glass door that looks good as new but there is still a dent in the wood right by the staircase.

I hear her room door open and i see her at the top of the stairs, her robe pulled over her body. I imagine the silk nightgown I bought her underneath. She runs down the stairs so fast I think she might fall.

Soon Chanel is in my arms. Her small hands holding my face like a child. She kisses me deeply and it feels like a breath of fresh air. I kiss back, pulling her close to me, my eyes closed, taking in all of her scent.

"I'm so sorry." She sighs, taking a small break away from my lips.

I reach back for them like I need them to breath. I slide her robe off her shoulders, pick her up and feel her legs wrap around my waist. I take her upstairs and close the door.