Chapter Forty-Two

Ashley

I was at the bank sitting outside in my car when Leon called again. At some point between me getting off the phone with William, running some errands, and then driving to the bank, he'd gone on lunch. And being that he was handling my account while my actual accountant was away, I was waiting.

" hello?" I answered, quietly.

" where you at, babe?"

" I'm at the bank, waiting on this man to come back from lunch so I can get this money out for my mom."

" aight." He didn't say anything that let me know that he was disappointed, but I could hear it in his voice anyway.

" stop judging me."

" I ain't say shit."

" 'i ain't say shit'." I mocked him. " anyway, I just said I'm at the bank, so what?"

He chuckled. " you know what? Nothing, Ashley. I was calling to see what you want for dinner but since you got a stank ass attitude I guess you don't want nothing, right?"

I sighed.

" aight, Ashley, man. You trippin'."

" I am? How? I just told you what I'm doing."

" I don't even give a fuck, man. Wherever you at, you can stay there with that fucking attitude. You been acting shitty to me since yesterday and I ain't do shit. Don't take out what your mama did to you on me."

I was going to apologize-because he was right-when one of the tellers from the bank- the one I'd been greeted by when entering the building and asked about Willliam- exited the front doors, looked around for a moment before spotting me a few feet away in my car, and waved me over. True to her word, she actually come and found me like she'd said she would once William returned.

" I have to go. My accountant is back from lunch."

He sucked his teeth. " man, aight."

I hung up first- or maybe we did it simultaneously.Honestly, I really didnt know. I was irritated and Leon was clearly becoming iritated with me as well. It would not come as a shock to me at all if he had hung up on me.

As i grabbed my purse and exited my car, I found myself feeling extremely guilty for treating Leon like he was the bad guy in all of my bullshit. Leon meant well, I knew. It was just hard to try not to be agitated by any and everything in my situation. From the fight with my mother, and then my stolen back card- technically the stolen bank card was first- my head space was all fucked up. I made a mental note that I'd make up with him when we were both home, safe and sound. He didnt deserve my bitchyness.

I was close to the front door when my phone rang again. Looking at the phone, I noticed that it was Leon and answered, while entering the door that was held open for me.

" I'm sorry." I confessed, immediately. " you don't deserve my bullshit, I know that. I just feel so shitty since what happened yesterday and I don't know how to fix it."

" I know what'll help." He said.

I rolled my eyes. " not that, Lee."

" not what?" He asked before laughing in understanding. " ya nasty ass. I'm not even talking bout no dick, damn. You always think I'm tryna fuck."

My face burned in embarrassment. " That's because you always are! But if it's not that, then what?"

" nah, that's all that's on my mind now. I'm bout to put it down tonight. Get ready. Matter of fact, stretch before you get home, cause I'm not tryna hear shit about a cramp."