Violent Delights

"How much farther Lilith?" Daisy whined from behind me, "I want to get out of here as soon as possible." 

"Why? Do you not enjoy walks through the Dark Forest?" I teased her, ducking under a fallen tree branch.

"No, I do not. Not at al-Ah!" Daisy squealed. I reluctantly turned to see what had happened. 

She stood on the other side of the branch, gingerly rubbing her forehead. I laughed and she scowled at me.

"Shut up!" Daisy said as she ducked under the branch. "Your going to attract something." I bit my lip. She was right.

I turned back to my invisible path I was following, "We're not far now." I stated, then continued walking. Daisy's footsteps followed. 

I kept my eyes on the ground, searching for the bulged roots of the Thickmore plant just as my father had taught me. I needed to refill my supply but, being as the plant is extremely rare and isn't sold at any of the stores in Hogsmeade, I had to retreat to the forest to search for it myself. I evaluated the landscape and soil earlier, seeing if it was able to sustain the Thickmore plant or if I was just wasting my time looking here. And I'm hoping it wasn't. 

I needed that plant to calm my wretched stomach after I had consumed a very potent herb that my father hadn't prepared right. It was the first time he used it and, being the loving daughter of a herbalist, I was always the first to "volunteer" to taste it. It wouldn't have done anything if I had just ingested a small amount, but my father took advantage of my open mouth and shoved a large spoonful in. Needless to say, I was furious. Especially when a few days later I started vomiting everything I ate and falling unconscious when I stood.

 My father, feeling guilty about the incident, bought me a jar of the Thickmore root and waited on me the whole week when the symptoms were at their worst. I eventually forgave him, he didn't mean to poison me. It just happened out that way. 

The symptoms faded as I got it out of my system, but my stomach was permantly damaged. I now depended on the root to not starve to death. So, here I am scrounging around in the Dark Forest so that I may live.

My father explained my state to Dumbledore, trying to get him to allow me to bring in the root. He said he understood the circumstances, but it was against the Ministries laws of Illegal Herbal substances for anyone to obtain or own Thickmore root. My father still tried to smuggle a couple jars in my suitcase and I thought it would have worked, being as smuggling illegal herbs was part of his profession, yet someone saw me taking them out and snitched. 

I still haven't found out who that was. I would eventually. I always do.

I suddenly heard a branch snap, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"What was that?" Daisy asked, her footsteps slowed.

"Hit your head on another branch?" I asked back grinning.

"No." 

Another snap. I froze. 

"W-what was that?!" Daisy's voice quivered. I turned to her and put my finger to my lips. She slowly nodded as I pulled out my wand. The brushes around us started to rustle, the sound getting closer and closer. Then it stopped. Silence filled the air. My wand vibrated, sensing my anticipation.

A slow, patronizing growl came from the bushes. Daisy squeaked and latched onto my arm. I raised my wand toward to sound. Pushing all my fears aside, I gently pulled my arm from Daisy's grip and stepped toward the wall of bushes.

"Lilith, what are you doing?!" She fiercly whispered at me. I ignored her and took another step foward. My hand was shaking slightly as I pointed straight at the bush. 

"Lilith!" Daisy whispered again. I took another step and the growl started again. I took a step back, startled, and heard a branch snap under my heel. The growl immediately stopped. I froze, my breath  caught in my throat. My heart was pounding loudly as I prayed it would leave. 

"Lilith." Daisy warned me in an almost inaudiable voice. I started to lift my foot when the brush in front of me exploded and a large dark figure jumped out, snarling and baring its sharp fangs. My eyes grew wide in fear and my hands shook so much I dropped my wand. It immediately tackled me, knocking us both to the ground, and sank its bite into my neck. Daisy's scream pierced the air as my vision went black.

.