"I'm fine, really."

"No pains?" She asks and I shake my head, No.
Still she expertly presses two fingers to my side and I groan out loud.

"Nice try, but you're gonna be here a while."

"A while? How long is a while?"

"Depends on how fast the pains go. You had a mild concussion and broke two ribs but apart from that you're fine. We'll keep our eyes on you for a couple days or more." She says as she makes notes on the file.

"Headaches?" She asks and I nod, admitting it.

"It's normal. The nurse will bring in your medication soon but in the meantime, your friends are here to see you. But only for a few minutes." She says as she injects something into the line.

"This will help with the pain." She says after she is done and leaves.

Friends?

Tess's name was the only one I put on my phone to call in time of emergency.

The minute the doctor walks out, Tess walks in and rushes to my side.

"Lunar, you scared the shit out of me. I was so scared when I got the call, I didn't know what to do. You left in such a hurry I thought you drove into a truck or something." She says tears stinging her eyes.

"Well technically the truck drove into me." I joke, trying and failing to sit up.

"It's not funny. And stay still, the doctor said you need a lot of rest." She says adjusting my blanket and I sigh.

"I'm fine. I'm just glad to see you." I say and she smiles.

"Good. Because I had no idea what happened when you left and I called Nathan after the hospital called me because---"

"Wait, you did what?" I ask, disbelieving.

"I called Nathan. I thought he would like to see you---"

"No. No, no, no, no, no. I don't want to see him, I can't....." My voice trails off as Nathan walks in holding flowers.

"Hey, Lu." He says and tears cloud my eyes at how soft his voice is, how innocent he looks yet how much pain he has caused.

"Please go away." I say, my voice quivering.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see..."

"Go. Away." I say, tears rolling down my face and Nathan stops in his tracks.

"Okay." He says and drops the flowers on the bed.

"I'll be here if you change your mind. I just want to talk." He says and then he leaves and I let the tears come.

"I don't want to see him." I cry to Tess and she nods in an understanding nature.

"I'm sorry...I didn't know." She says softly caressing my shoulder as I drift off to sleep.

*****

"You know I can feed myself perfectly, right?" I say with a mouthful as Tess holds the lemonade glass to my lips and I sip from it.

"I'm fine." I say after swallowing but she still puts the ham sandwich to my face and I take a bite.

"Well, I'm following the doctor's orders." Tess says stubbornly.

"Doctor Crain said I need to rest, not to be pampered."

"Uh-huh. Here." She puts the last of the sandwich into my mouth.
I had been in the hospital for a day and a half now, and frankly, I'm not a fan of lying down all day and doing nothing.