Chapter 3 The First Key

Grandma Holly went to go wake up Grandpa Frank because he was napping. He hugged me and he was very happy. We went inside and we talked. "What happened to you that night?" I asked "Well after I told you to run I tried finding mom and dad. I couldn't find them so I ran to grandma's house. What happened to you?" "I bumped into Dahlia Breeze, mom's friend and I live with her, Clementine her daughter, and Steve." "Oh. Dahlia used to buy us cookies. Where do you go to school?" he asked. "Since the village burned down there wasn't any schools close to me so Dahlia homeschools me. What about you?" I told him "Same thing except Uncle Berry homeschools me." "Uncle Berry! I love Uncle Berry he used to play hide and seen with us!" "He lives right next."

Suddenly a cat jumped onto the couch. "That's Finn I found him the day after the fire. He was hiding in the village." Jarod said. The cat was black and white and it had green eyes.

   After dinner Jarod and I sat on the couch. "Can I see the locket again?" Jarod asked "Sure." I handed him the locket. He opened it and looked at the picture. " What's this on the other side?" he asked " I'm not sure. I never really noticed that." On the other side was what looked like an old wrinkly piece of paper where another picture was supposed to be. He took it out and it was a folded piece of paper. He opened it up and it said " If my children are lost and you found them please bring them to Hazelworth Village." "Hazelworth was where our old house was wasn't it?"  He nodded his head. He gave me the locket and I put the paper back. I took the picture out to see if there was anything else and on the back of the picture it said " If you and your brother get lost your brother has a key to our house the key is also one of the keys that opens our secret emergency house far away in the mountain. Your brother knows where the other two keys are and if he forgets it is with the people we trust most."

   Jarod suddenly got up and ran to his room. I ran after him. He was going through his drawers. He was looking for something and he threw almost all his clothes on the floor. Then he found what he was looking for. It was a golden key that looked old and a little rusty. A string was tied to it. "This!" he yelled "This what?" "It's the key it said in the note!"   I got super excited! Suddenly I heard a knock on the door.