Chapter 1: Wiped Clean

The sunlight entering from the window manages to hit my eyelids. My eyelids slightly creep open and squint at the sudden burst of light. My arm lifts itself from under the sheets and makes its way to the nightstand. It flops itself onto my phone and my hand grips it. I drag my phone over to the side of my face and press the home button. 

The time reads 6:30 A.M. I groan and I open my eyes fully. Once I do, pain immediately starts to surge throughout my head. I wince and I put my hand on my head. "What did I do for my head to hurt this bad?" I think. I try to remember what I had done for the past week. But nothing seems to come up. 

It's like my memory had been completely wiped clean for the past week. As I was trying to recollect my memories, my bedroom door swings open. My mom idly walks into the room. "Shree, you have to get up. You've got school today," she says. 

I flop back on my bed and groan. "Mom, do I have to go?" I ask. She sighs. "Yes you have to go. Now get up and brush your teeth," my mom says. I sigh and throw off my covers. After brushing my teeth and cleaning my retainers, I go downstairs and I have my breakfast. 

Throughout the whole time, I can't stop thinking about what was bugging me. I couldn't pinpoint it, and that frustrated me. My mom even noticed my frustration. "Everything ok, Shree?" she asked. I nod my head. 

"Everything is fine. I just feel like something is off," I say, picking at my cereal. My mom puts down her coffee cup. "What do you think is off, Shree?" my mom asks. I sigh. "That's the problem. I can't pinpoint it. Not only that, I feel like my memory has been completely wiped clean for some reason," I say. My mom says. 

"You have been forgetting things a lot lately, Shree. Should I take you to the doctor?" my mom asks. I shake my head. "I think I'll be fine," I say, and I finish my breakfast. After I shower and get dressed, my dad drives me to school. During the very short ride, I try my best to study anything and everything. 

Call me a nutcase, but I believe that the smallest things can jog anyone's memory. I see trees, houses, roads, and grass. Somehow, thinking of grass jogs something in my memory. I rest my head back on the headrest and I think. 

"Grass, grass. Oh gosh," I think. Part of a name suddenly appears in my memory. I can make out the letters "G" and "A", but I can't remember anything else. "Ga- ga- what?" I'm thinking. "Shree!" my dad suddenly exclaims. I'm snapped out of my mini-trance when my dad suddenly calls my name. 

"What? Dad, what's wrong?" I exclaim. He sighs. "Do you want to get down?" my dad asks. I look out the window of my car, and I'm already at school. "Yeah, I'll get down," I say, and I grab my geometry textbook. "Bye, Dad," I say, and I get out of the car and walk to math class.

Once we are done taking our notes for the lesson, my teacher gives us time to do our homework that is due the next day. But in all honesty, no one actually does their homework. It's basically a free period for the rest of us. Once I put my notes away into my folder, I turn to my best friend, Nikki, who closes her math book. 

"How was your weekend, Nikki?" I ask. She shrugs. "It honestly could be worse. Although, I did two things yesterday," she says. "What did you do?" I ask. She smiles. "For one, I tried to do the splits. And two, I learned that I can't do the splits," she says, and smiles. I slap my palm to my forehead while she laughs. 

"That's just pure stupidity, Nikki," I say. She shoots me a look. "Oh shut up. We both know it's a joke," she says. "I hope so," I say, and we both laugh. Then, a suspicious look forms on Nikki's face. I tilt my head and examine the look on her face. "Nikki? You ok? You look like a high investigator interrogating a burglary suspect," I say, and Nikki rolls her eyes.