CHAPTER 28: MY HEART BEATS FOR YOU

Comenzar desde el principio

you girls should be careful okay, take care of yourselves and your virtue. Ladi, I have heard what happened with your parents, I’m really sorry about it. Honestly, you did nothing wrong. I will, try and talk to your mother about it. If Mudi is your destiny nobody can stop it. If any body tries it they die and the wedding eventually happens. I’ve seen it happen so many times. Besides, sharing a husband with your cousin is lawful. It may be uncommon but society is evolving, people are getting wiser. Between you and me, you look better with Mudi than Hafsat, he won’t be able too keep his eyes off you today. Let me let you girls go” she smiled

My face soften immediately. Finally someone who understands. This woman is very wise and brilliant. I felt love for her immediately. I liked her before, but today at this very moment I love her. Now I understand why Shatu adores her.

thanks you very much. I appreciate it.” I said with a grin.

Allah Ya barku tare”  Shatu’s mother says again.

It was 2 in the afternoon, So we knew he will be at the market not his house. So we went to the market. I saw him, he was standing and talking with some guys. We made eye contact, but he looked away. My Heart sank, I did not know what else to do. My eyes scanned his fingers to see whether he still has our promise ring. It was missing. My heart stopped for a while, then it raced, beating rapidly and heavily, I couldn’t breath, I had to breath through my mouth. 
Shatu then said

wait here, please try to keep the tears at bay. Uhmm, maybe that’s not possible” looking worried and serious

okay, just try not to faint or die. Please, I beg you, “ she concluded.

She walked over to Mudi, with so much confidence and determination that I admired her ferocity. She said something and he excused himself from the group he was talking to. He followed Shatu. They stood for a while, talking as I watched in fear. Moments later he followed her to where I was. He passed by me, Shatu followed him and I did the same. We walked out of the village market to a secluded area

Then She said “ He is all yours, I will be in the market if you need me.”

She then looked at Mudi and says  “ to find someone who loves you unconditionally is truly a gift that should be cherished.”

With that she walked away, leaving me alone with my beloved.
There was an awkward silence. Then He spoke, no doubt to ease the tension.

you look beautiful, what is the occasion?

I feel my lips form into a smile as I carelessly let my veil loose, so it hung on one of my shoulder, leaving the rest of my body out. I pushed my chest out and bat my eyelashes as hard as I can. 

you are” I replied turning my face away from him, as I giggled.

well, I am  honoured” he says again.

We were once again silent.

where is the ring? Have you given up on us already? “ I asked heartbroken, tears rolling down my cheeks.

Your father warned me not to come near you, well He insulted me rather. He said he has started having issues with Hafsat’s father”

I hated hearing him call her name. I hate the way He said it, may be I’m paranoid but it sounded affectionate. I was hurt.

I’m sorry, but I love you “ He concluded.

“if you love me you wouldn’t consider giving up on me that easily, you will at least fight for us. Not just give up. I never know you for a quitter” I said half screaming at him.

“I’m really sorry, I care for you deeply. I just thought maybe...” he continues

“maybe what?” I cut him off

don’t you know my heart beats for you. I love you more than I can express, I don’t want to live in a world without you in my life. It doesn’t matter what everybody says, my heart wants you and only you. You thinks this isn’t hard for me too? Everyone in the village looks at me accusingly as if I am the villain, like I’m some sort of a wayward girl ” I said now sobbing.

I now realise I have soiled my face from all the crying. I wiped my tears and my hand was soiled with the red powder I wore, it even had traces of my kohl.  I did not want Mudi to se me looking like a water drenched sparsely haired ugly hen. My hands swiftly covered my embarrassing face.

Ladi? What’s wrong?” he asks

The way he says my name, the way it glides through his tongue, how softly it sounds yet manly. It could be a sin, for how can ones words be so hypnotising.

“I don’t want you to see my messy face” I replied.

come on, please open this beautiful face for me. You can never look ugly, you are too beautiful open this face my love. I will love you no matter what ” he begs

I reluctantly opened my face, he just looks at me, I try to cover again but he held my hand.

He said
you look perfect, I love you even more, you have to understand love is beyond makeup, I’m yours, just as you are mine

promise me you will not give up on us” I demanded

“I promise Ladi I won’t and I will protect you and stand by you. You have shown me love, now it’s my turn to love you even more, My Ladi, My love” he replies

just remember you are my heartbeat, my life is in your hands. Dont ever let it stop beating.”
I said now smiling while I explore his hands which were still holding mine after stopping me from closing my face again.

Suddenly life became beautiful again.

AUTHORS NOTE
Thanks for reading everyone. Feel free to comment and I will respond promptly. Don't forget to vote and share.