Too Good to be True

After half an hour, the boys pushed open the door of the girls' cabin and walked in. Nobody spoke, they just acknowledged the fact that everyone was okay and not harmed as badly as could been possible.

"I always hated that guy," Jason said, breaking the silence. Everyone laughed. Mitchie felt good laughing. It took away one layer of anxiety...or was it fear?

"So now that you're not tied onto a contract," Caitlyn said. "Are you staying at Camp Rock all year?"

Mitchie sat up, looking at Shane who exchanged grins with his brothers and then nodded. Everyone cheered and Shane pulled Mitchie into a hug.

"You didn't have to do that for me," Mitchie whispered. Shane shook his head. "Yeah I did. Mitchie, I've only ever spent two summers with you. It's time I spent more."

And for the first time in over a year, he bent down and kissed her.

Nate had never said it but he had never been more thankful of anyone in his life more than Mitchie. Before he'd met her, Shane had been arrogant, selfish and annoying. Then, that one summer with Mitchie had changed everything. The year that followed he spoke non-stop about her and Nate guessed that Mitchie did the same about him. The next summer, though they hardly spent any time together, had brought them closer than anyone could've ever imagined. During the bonfire, Brown started to have suspicions about something happening just before Mitchie and Shane came over because he swore they had never held hands in public before. A kiss, perhaps...? Nate knew what had happened. He'd just been jamming out on the guitar with Jason when his sight just drifted to the cabins. He saw Mitchie and Shane kissing. He smiled and then looked away, pretending he'd never seen anything. That year that followed, Shane annoyed Nate and Jason more than ever, going into daydreams about his girlfriend during practice until he decided to put his thoughts about her into songs. He'd also helped Nate through the difficult time of deciding which girl he wanted to be with: Dana or Caitlyn. Jason had helped too but he was pretty busy with his birdhouses. (!)

Nate knew Shane liked Mitchie but now that he spent more time with the couple as a friend, he knew that their relationship was more than just some summer crush. They'd lasted through two years of hardly talking and that meant something.

"Yo. Daydreamer."

Nate blinked and saw Caitlyn grinning at him. "Come on, stupid. We've got classes to teach."

"Oh. Right. Yeah."

Caitlyn rolled her eyes and pulled him up to their classroom.

Shane still had a prominent cut on his lip and the story was all around camp by the next day. Stares followed the gang everywhere they went but Shane, Nate and Jason were more than used to it.

"Um...guys," Peggy said during Junior Camp classes one day. "Can we ask you something?"

"Sure," Nate said. "What's up?"

"What's with your parents? Like who are they, where are they, etc.?"

Jason opened his mouth but Nate got there first. "Mom really cares about us and so does Dad but they both split up years ago. Our step parents (both our parents got remarried) only care about making money out of us."

"Ouch," Mitchie whistled. She raised her voice to the campers. "Okay, guys, start packing up the instruments, kay? Lunch is in ten minutes."

"Aw...but we're just getting verse three right!" Frankie whined.

"You can carry on tomorrow," Tess said. "Start packing up."

"Can we do it during lunch time?" Frankie begged.

"Yeah, please?" Tara asked.

"Okay, then," Shane gave in. "But just use the things you need."

As they packed up, Mitchie started humming This is Our Song and looked up at the spot that they'd had the bonfire last year. That had been a really dramatic summer. And it had been the summer of her first kiss. Mitchie couldn't wipe the smile of her face. It had been so...well, maybe romantic wasn't the right word! She and Shane had been packing up and talking about how the Final Jam and gone...and how they'd lost.

Mitchie looked at the ground. "Look, I'm really sorry I didn't spend more time with you this summer."

Shane looked at her anxious face. "Hey, the whole reason I came here was-"

"-to get to know me better," Mitchie finished. Shane smiled and said softly "and I've learned everything I need to know."

Mitchie looked embarrassed but pleased and Shane saw a small smile on her face. They stood there for a moment and then, suddenly, Mitchie stepped up to Shane and kissed him. Shane didn't even need a second to register what was happening in his mind...it felt right and he kissed her back.

They both broke apart, grinned at each other and headed off to the bonfire, hand in hand.

"Snap out of the daydream, Mitch!" Caitlyn smirked. "Brown wants to talk to us."

Mitchie blinked a couple of times and then hurried out to the staff room.

"What is it, Brown?" Shane asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Remember Orion Terrier?" Brown asked. "The manager who was perfect but we didn't want to kick Pete out? He's offering you and any friends you know who have potential to have a tour around the country next year."

Mitchie felt as if a stone and been placed in her mouth, it dropped so far. Shane, Nate and Jason looked ecstatic and Tess, Peggy and Ella were jumping around, squealing. Barron and Sanders were hi-fiving the other boys and Mitchie saw that Caitlyn, like her, was speechless.

"Everything's working out great, huh?" Shane said, taking his girlfriend aside. "Pete's out of here, I get to spend time with you more, you get to come on tour with us..."

"I know," Mitchie sighed. "Sometimes I think it's too good to be true."

Too good to be true? Believe me, it was.

A/N PART ONE IS OVER! WOWOWOWOW! Ended with a bit of a cliffie, huh? Lol, I'll put Part Two up soon sooooo...ROCK ON!