September First

Minerva McGonagall flicked her wand at the stack of letters, and they started methodically folding up and fitting themselves into envelopes. Checking each name off as they stacked on the desk in front of her, she wondered what this year would bring. There were many new first years' names on the list she recognized, including two more Weasleys and a Finnegan-Thomas.

Minerva knew that this year would be her last at Hogwarts before her retirement ("And a good thing, too," she thought, "Three Weasleys and a Lupin are quite enough to be getting on with - Four Weasleys, a Potter, and a Lupin would simply be too much, and that's only next year - there will be more coming.").

Still, she couldn't help but feel a stab of sadness at the thought, knowing she would never again be starting the school year at Hogwarts ("I'll visit," she tried to reassure herself. "I'll need to check on everyone.").

Picking up the letters, Minerva stood up and headed for the owlry. With a determined air and a small smile, she prepared for the year that would be starting, come rain or shine, on September First.

~×~×~×~

Hope you enjoyed this! Please comment and vote! :)

Fanfic Friday drabble contest winner