CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Jarael's warhorse easily bore the extra burden of his master's wife. Held tightly in his arms, surrounded by his love, she slept for most of the ride back to the keep. She didn't wake until they came within sight of the gates.

A messenger had taken the glad tidings back to Farlathi. The sentry spotted them and announced to all and sundry that the Bear had returned with their Lady safe and sound. The word spread throughout the keep and a cheer rose as the gates opened to admit the troop.

As they neared the manor, they noticed two men and a woman in Paska dress waiting by the steps to the front door. When they drew nearer, Jarael had the odd feeling of recognition, looking at the tallest and oldest of the men. It was like looking into his own future and seeing his older face.

As they drew up and dismounted, the man stepped forward, looking first at Jarael, then past him to Liara as Gavin helped her down from her horse.

"Maker be praised," the man murmured in Paska, "my sister can you truly live?"

"Murchadh?" whispered Liara, her eyes growing wide.

"Told me you were dead, did the old boar," said the man. "May the day I believe him be cursed."

"Sold me, did the old pig," Liara said roughly. "Dead I thought you were my brother!" The man opened his arms, and Liara rushed into his embrace.

"My nephew you must be." Murchadh looked at Jarael over Liara's head. "Much to discuss we have."

"Indeed, we do," said Jarael. Then he switched to Nandarin. "Uncle, this is my Father-in-Law and my Mother's husband, Gavin, Marquis of Farlathi."

"My little sister a Marchioness?" Murchadh's Nandarin, though accented, was fluent. "I perceive a long story." He put out a hand to Gavin. "I greet you, husband of my sister, now my brother."

"And I greet you, brother of my wife, now my brother," replied Gavin. "Come inside and refresh yourselves. Then we shall all sit down to dinner and tales."

Murchadh introduced the woman as his wife, Briallen and the other man as his son Eurion. After hugs all around, they were shown to their rooms and provided with access to the bath house with the promise of a good meal to come.

When they bathed, Jarael insisted on examining Rhiannon to check for any injury. She had no complaint over his hovering; it was heavenly to be home safe. He was grateful to find nothing more than a bruise or two. Once settled in the main pool, he stayed remarkably calm as she related her story of how she had maneuvered Segun, but his eyes showed a mixture of anger and pain.

"I have always known you were wise and clever," he said softly, kissing her shoulder as she rested against him. "I'm sorry you had to deal with him. I should have been quicker."

"You're not the Maker, Husband," she replied, reaching back to stroke his face. "We're both fine, Segun is dead and will cause us no more trouble, so you may cease upbraiding yourself."

"I have sent a message to Ranfurly and King Kenet about this revelation of a plot. I must also ride for Hormon tomorrow," he said. "And I suspect I will not ride alone."

"Papa will go with you, certainly."

"And my Uncle and cousin, unless I miss my guess. There is the matter of Pabian's treatment of my mother to deal with."

"Will there be trouble, do you think?"

"Trouble?" His arms wrapped her close. "Not as much as I would like. I have little doubt that Pabian and Ursula had a hand in Segun's plans, but I cannot summarily spit the snake with my blade, as much as I would like to. Still, being embroiled in a plot to overthrow the King, Hormon will be fortunate to escape this business with his neck. With the information Delwyn has, there will be a great many in that predicament. Norwood is rather inept, but he is loyal to Kenet and will be horrified at this. Segun's death will be a minor issue."