zero

⌯ ⌯ ⌯

CHAPTER ZERO !
Whispers in the room

 CHAPTER ZERO !❝Whispers in the room❞

THEN

THE AURA OF THE FORMER VACANT ROOM WAS TENSE. Cold air was coming from what it seems to be the walls, making the young Natalie Crain shiver.

She didn't want to sleep alone in the old room, where the painting eye's seem to follow you. Natalie was a going to throw a tantrum to her parents, about to beg to them not to leave her alone. However, she stopped herself when she notice her siblings didn't had a problem sleeping alone in their own rooms.

Natalie tried to gain courage that night. So before going to bed, she wished goodnight to her family, and closed the door shut. She tried not to look into any corners, not even the windows, fearing that something might be looking back at her.

The young Crain climbed the tall queen mattress and tucked herself into the cold sheets. She was small compare to the size of the bed, but she found comfort in it.

She couldn't sleep though, not matter how hard she tried. A few minutes into the night and Natalie already felt uncomfortable, as if someone was watching her from a corner. She tried to move around the bed, side to side to find a comfortable position but the feeling was still there. It increased itself each time her eyes were close, waiting for the right moment to get closer.

Natalie was so concentrated in getting herself to fall asleep that she didn't hear the cricking door opening slightly. Nor the lightly sound of footsteps approaching her.

Letting out a sigh, Natalie's arms fell to each of her side. After what it seem like forever, her eyes were slowly closing, and her breath was becoming deeper each second.

Finally, Natalie Crain was asleep, like the rest of the family.

The hallways and rooms of Hill House remained silent, letting the new residents feel peace and quiet. They will needed, because that might be the one of the last times they will ever feel that way together.

Before Natalie could reach her deepest state of dreaming, a whisper travel towards her, awaking the young girl.

The Crain girl didn't open her eyes, she knew that if she did, she would regret it. Someone or something had whispered her name, taunting her.

At first she thought it was her imagination. She thought her mind was playing tricks on her, a subtle warning to get her to stop watching war movies with her father. But then it came again, this time more clearer, more closer.

Natalie stood still, clenching her fists and breathing deeply. When she prepared herself for the next one, she waited and waited. But the whisper did not came again, instead, she heard something else.

She could clearly hear the agitated breathing of someone next to her ear. Like someone had awoken from a bad dream and was breathing heavily. Natalie shut her eyes stronger, until they became numb.

It wasn't until she heard for a third time someone whispering her name, in a delicate and calm way that she bolted out of the room. Not noticing a dark silhouette standing next to her bed.

She went into the nearest room searching for safety. She didn't want to go to her parents, not wanting them to see her as a weak girl. Instead she chose someone that she knew will let her stay there.

She approached the bed, and tapped the person's shoulder twice. They moved, signing that they had awaken. Natalie looked down, wiping the tears that had escape from her hazel eyes.

❝Natty?❞ Steven mumbled rubbing his eyes. He sat straight, looking at her little sister, she seem shaken up ❝what happened?❞

❝I don't want to sleep alone❞ Natalie whispered, rubbing her own eyes.

❝I thought you said you weren't scared❞ Steve teased her with a small smile. He move to the side, and removed the blankets next to him. Natalie took this as an invitation and quickly got in the bed.

❝I'm not scared❞ she said shaking her head. Steven raised his eyebrow at her and Natalie frown ❝I just missed you❞ she shrugged and Steve let out a chuckled.

❝Alright then, you can stay here until you no longer miss me❞

Steve laid down again and made sure her sister was comfortable before closing his eyes.

However, it seemed that Natalie wasn't the only one overwhelmed by the house when the cries of someone else filled the corridors of the house.

Natalie opened her eyes quickly and notice Steve was getting out of bed. Thinking he was going to leave her, she sat up and was about to go with him when he raised his hand, stopping her.

❝It's okay, it's probably Nellie having a bad dream❞ he approached the door and looked back at her sister ❝I'll be right back, okay?❞ Natalie nodded and sat back, taking the blankets closer to her.

A couple of minutes had passed when she heard her father's voice. Then, Steve came back and smiled at the girl, closing the door.

He came back to her side and sighed, looking at her ❝want to talk about it?❞ Natalie shook her head and he nodded ❝goodnight, Natty❞

❝Good night, Steve❞ the young girl whispered back with a small smile in her face.

The two Crain siblings closed their eyes, knowing they had each other's company to get through the night. Natalie closed her eyes, and hoped that the whispers didn't come again.

But sadly, it was just going to be the beginning of a future full of sorrow.

⌯ ⌯ ⌯