Chapter 2

"Well, we will give you a call as soon as possible. Goodbye, Madison."

"Bye. Thanks you again for interviewing me," Madison said back to the man in front of her and he reached out to shake her hand. Madison grasped her future educator's hand and shook it eagerly. Soon she was back in the car with Jessica and they were driving back to their house. The car was silent as Jessica drove,

"You know," Jessica said trying to break the awkward silence, "they said that you would be getting in. I wasn't supposed to know but they said it anyway." She looked through the corner of her eyes at Madison. Madison nodded her head and murmured something.

"So we should, like, go out," she continued, "to celebrate." Madison shrugged her shoulders and Jessica nodded her head.

"Where would we even go," said Madison quietly.

"A place," she said without missing a beat. Madison raised an eyebrow. "To drink," she continued. Madison wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"I hate alcohol." Jessica let he mouth drop in an O even though Madison couldn't see.

"Ugh, then what-"

"We can go, but I'm not going to drink," Madison said,cutting her off. Jessica forced a smile and said "perfect" in a cheery voice.

Jessica picked up the phone and dialed the number. The rings bounced off the walls in her quiet room. Madison was probably still trying to put that red dress on. A shuffling came from the other end of the phone as Ross said, "hello?"

Jessica dropped the phone on the floor in panic. She reassured herself and picked it up again. "Hey, Ross," she tried to say casually. Key word: tried.

"Um, Jessica? Why are you calling me?" Ross asked very annoyed.

"It's my friend-" she started.

"I said that I am not going to date our blind friend!" he shouted across the line. Jessica cringed from the phone and her eyes filled with tears.

"But-"

"Goodbye."

"I'll HAVE SEX WITH YOU!" Jessica screamed. Ross stopped. He stared at the phone. Jessica would have sex with him? That's something he would most defiantly be interested in.

"You want me to date your blind friend but cheat on her with you?" he countered.

"No not necessarily. I just want someone to pretend to go out with her. Be her fake boyfriend . . . So her mother will get off my damn back," Jessica murmured the last part.

"It wouldn't be fake to her . . ." Ross said. Jessica looked down and felt her heart hammer in her chest. She didn't want to do this. She didn't want to hurt her friend, but . . . She needed to. Just so Madison can get some space from her mother. At the same time it was selfish of Jessica. Selfish because part of her wanted to only get Jennifer back even though she shouldn't care.

"You might not understand but, I want You to go out with her, be a complete-"

"Gentlemen?" Ross asked.

"Jerk," Jessica said without acknowledging Ross's comment. "Then," she continued, "I want her to break up with you. That's all. Nothing else."

Ross thought about it. Jessica wanted him to date a girl in exchange for sex, act like a complete ass whole, then let her break up with him? Ross waited for someone to say something. If he gets to finally have sex with Jessica, maybe he can get rid of her for good. "Okay," he said.

Jessica felt relieved. "Good," she said. Then the idea struck her. "Ross, I need you to get on our night clothes. Your going out tonight."

"What? Where?"