Looking For A Legend Chapter 45 - Murroh

Washington D.C. was always one of Murroh’s least favorite places in the country.  From the outside it looked like any other metropolitan center, with its congested streets, tall skyscrapers, and stately government buildings.  However, beneath the beautiful marble veneer, greed and corruption was waiting beneath every surface, waiting to break free.  Ekaterina was even less thrilled than the trip than he was.

Katya was not happy when Murroh started receiving intelligence from an unsolicited source in Russia, trying to lure him into a conspiracy theory.  They had just started making progress with Murroh’s therapy, dealing with the painful events that caused his guilt.  He had been sober since January and severely cut back on his smoking, Ekaterina was getting her husband back, and now some anonymous tipster was trying to take him away.

He had traveled to Washington to propose putting together an exploratory committee to investigate the information he had received.  The current director of the Special Investigations was unimpressed by Murroh’s case.  Since his abrupt retirement fifteen years ago in the middle of his service as liaison to the United Kingdom’s SIS, his reputation had been badly damaged.  Now, while many of the men still respected his service record, they doubted his integrity, his sobriety and his sanity.  After weeks of lobbying for investigation, even with the promise of international cooperation, and turning over all the documents he had been sent by the Russian informant, Murroh could do nothing but wait.  There was only one thing worse than feeling useless: Having a purpose you can’t fulfill.

Murroh passed his time the any way he could.  He called Valentina, to catch up.  Murroh was relieved to hear Eli had woken from his coma, and hadn’t suffered any major trauma.  He was a little concerned for Valentina moving in with him, but Murroh trusted Eli.  He hadn’t met him in person yet, but he liked Eli.  Eli was intelligent, capable, and most importantly, he loved Valentina. 

It was such a shame that Horowitz had turned out to be a traitor and an asshole.  But then again, Murroh had always thought he was an asshole.

Murroh took Ekaterina on a tour to see the sights that she never got to see during her first visit to Washington.  Ekaterina had first burst into Murroh’s office twenty five years ago, malnourished and unwashed, recently escaped from the same camp he had rescued Mischa from.  That seemed like a different life entirely.

Ekaterina wasn’t much interested in seeing old buildings or artifacts from American culture.  Though she was bored, she feigned interest for his sake, always offering a smile when Murroh explained something to her.  They went to the Smithsonian, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument, and to many other landmarks in the capital.  Murroh bought souvenirs for his wife, his daughter, and even something for Eli.

During their third week on what Murroh called a vacation, and Ekaterina called wasting money, Murroh received a phone call from the Special Investigations director.  He listened to the message without speaking, he would only occasionally utter sounds to confirm his understanding.  Katya looked up from her book expectantly, but kept silent until Murroh hung up.

“Well?  What is it?” she asked, setting her book down.

“The intelligence source checks out.  The Russians will cooperate, and are launching their own investigation.  They want my help.”  Murroh was not as happy as he should have been.  For all his work, pushing this investigation forward, he should have been excited for his accomplishment.

“You are going to Russia then?” Katya stood up, towering over her husband.

“No.  London.  I’ll be meeting with the Russian representative in London.” He ran his hand over his short shorn hair.

“It’s never over, is it?” She put her arms around him.  Ekaterina pulled Murroh to her chest.

“I was hoping that they’d tell me it was bunk.  That some kid was just trying to pull a prank on me.”  He admitted with a sigh.

“You would prefer he was dead?” Katya held him tightly.

“If he isn’t, then I’ve wasted a lot of my life.” Murroh rested his head against her chest.  If she was a bustier woman, he’d be pillowed on her breast, but instead he just put his forehead to her sternum.

“At least you will get to see Valentina.  We can see her new home, and meet her boyfriend.” Katya tried to reason with him.

“You always know what to say, Katya.  I love you.”  Murroh looked up at her with the best smile he could muster.

“I love you too, Murroh.” Ekaterina sealed it with a kiss.