‘It suit’s your skin.’ He said and i turned crimson.

There was a small wooden bridge that was beauty carved and polished on top over a stream, there was nothing artificial here apart from the bridge, every where i turned it was green nature. We’ve walked so far my legs were hurting.

       ‘Is the place still far?’ I asked

‘Getting impatient already…………’

To my utmost surprise we were still inside the compound shielded by huge walls, all my life i have lived in shanty places and i have never thought a place like this existed. At last we got there it was not a big field as i expected but it resembled a football field and it was empty and i tensed.

   ‘My friends would be here soon.’

He slumped down on the ground and adjusted his trainers.

  ‘What are you thinking of?’ he asked.

I heard noise and before i could reply his friends came holding a ball shouting and like little boys as they came closer.

     ‘Steve…..today you guys are going down.’

He stood immediately and replied. ‘Never. We not going down tonight you guys are.’

I noticed they were divided into two groups. Red and yellow.

Soon the game started with no group scoring any point i sat back and watched as the second half and it was time for penalty a man complained that he had a sprain so he couldn’t play again, i stood up to replace him and the guys stared at me disbelieving. I was use to playing football at the convent only it was with girls.   

         ‘Eve you can’t.’ Steven said

i stood in front of the ball facing the ever alert-goal keeper  didn’t know why i did it i just wanted to prove that i am good at what i do and girls should not be underrated.

I took steps back and studied the goal-keeper with full concentration and made move to kick the ball straight but i corner-kicked with my left leg and the ball went past his outstretched gloved hands into the net. The look of anticipation left their worried face and they shouted. ‘Gooooaaaal.’

   The shouts ringed in my head as they shouted. ‘You must bring this girl more often.’ One of them told Steven as they were discussing he said nothing as his friends nudged him, when the attention i got was too much i excused myself and went away unnoticed by anyone. I wanted to go back to the garden when i got there i lost myself in the sweet-smelling fragrance and closed my eyes. It would have been a huge surprise for them when i scored a goal, i saw the look on Steven’s face and it scared me i thought i had done something wrong. There was something about this life that made me marvel, there are different facet to life, last week i never knew i would find myself with someone who was willing to help me i closed my eyes and wondered if he could really help me with my disturbing nightmare and make it go away, i needed to trust him and for some reason i was beginning to, and i would make Stella like me, it hurts really bad to know someone sees you as trash.

‘What are you thinking of?’ someone asked behind me 

         ‘Life.’ I answered as Steven came to stand beside me.

‘And what about life?’

He cut a flower and turned to me. ‘you are like this flower…..sweet ands oft and with every layer one would always find something new……you surprised me today and especially my friends they asked me to bring you every day.’ He took my hand and i stiffened.

        ‘Don’t you know how to smile?’ he asked.

It was then and there i realized i didn’t know how to smile; i didn’t remember the last time i smiled.

     He was waiting for my reply. ‘I am sure your smile would be as pretty as your face.’ He continued looking very serious then i turned away as he watched me closely holding my face in his hands and he tilted it up and i noticed strange bubbles in my lower  abdomen i wondered if it was amusement i saw in his eyes as they lit up or maybe he felt the bubbles too.

        ‘I think it’s high time we left.’

I noticed a lady-maid nearby plucking mangoes and staring at us intensively and i felt uneasy immediately.

When we got to the main house it was already dark and the moon was up, when we parted at my bedroom door i stayed there for a while a little self conscious and surprised at the new feelings that coursed through me and it kept playing in my heart and head as he told me it was fun going out with me, and as i climbed the bed i could still feel the place where he held me on my face. I didn’t know what i longed for and it scared me.