FOUR: A PIC FOR MOM

Alaric used one of the many cellphones that the woman had stolen to call Dorian

Alaric used one of the many cellphones that the woman had stolen to call Dorian. They were running out of time and the doors weren't gonna last much longer. "Please tell me you have something" He said on speaker phone. "Connection sucks. W-Where are you?" Dorian asked. Hope rolled her eyes and called out to him, "Root cellar full of contraband that our pickpocket Landon Kirby claims he didn't steal." Rafael looked at Hope with an infuriating expression. "There's a fire-breather outside. Can you prioritize your rage?" He asked. "We probably wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for him" Alex added. "Dragon" Dorian said. "What?" Alaric questioned. "Dragon. She steals treasure, breathes fire, hides the loot in her lair... She's-she's not a pyromancer, she's a--" The Headmaster scoffed, thinking his thought was ludicrous.

"Dragons don't exist, or look like normal people" Alaric said. "There was a time we would have said that about vampires" The historian spoke. "Okay, fine. She's a human dragon. Now what?" He asked. "In anything I've ever read-" Dorian started. "-In fiction" Alaric asked. "The way to take down a dragon? You need a buttload of courage and a sword" He finished. "How about a knife?" Alex asked, raising the blade in her hand. Before Alaric could protest against it, Hope, Alex, and Rafael began formulating a plan. Once they came up with a rock solid idea, they blew that popsicle stand. Literally. Hope blew the doors off the cellar as the two walked up the stairs. She thrusted her arm forwards, sending the dragon flying back several yards.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you smoking's bad for you?" Hope asked as Alex appeared on the opposite side of the field. The dragon landed on its side, facing away towards Alex. She glared angrily at the girl who shrugged. "I know, quitting's hard" Alex said. The dragon's growl turned into a roar as she breathed a blast of fire at the Salvatore girl who raised the knife in defense. The knife protected her from the flame but was starting to overpower her a bit. "Evas Elabuk Estupey" Alex spoke, causing a ringing to start in the dragon's head. She didn't know if it would work since it's not human but she was thankful it was. As a result of the intense pain, she shut her mouth, ending the flames. The dragon gripped its head, beginning to fall to its knees. Rafael appeared from the cellar and tossed a brick, knocking the woman down momentarily.

"Took you long enough!" Alex said, walking around the woman and standing next to Hope who she handed the knife to. Her hand that had already been burned earlier was aching even more. "Sorry. I couldn't find a rock" He said. "There's literally a lair full of heavy objects" Hope pointed out. The dragon recovered, starting to stand to its feet. "Hope! Alley-oop" Rafael sprinted towards the dragon. Once she he next to it, Hope threw him the knife which he plunged into its chest. It had seemed to be slayed. The three shared a look before Alex spoke. "I feel like that was too easy" She said. "Shouldn't we be happy it was this easy?" Rafael asked. "Yes" Hope answered. They stood around the body, making sure that it didn't move. Rafael leaned down and yanked the knife out of the dragon's chest before handing it back to Alex. "Promise kept" He said. "Ew" She crinkled her nose up at the blood. Alex leaned down and wiped the blood off on the woman's dress.