ch 3- lies and red dirt

A shake of my shoulder jolts me awake as i realize it's my brother trying to wake me up. I squint my heavy eyes open and look at the kitty clock on the oppsite wall from me. It reads 4:12 and i thought that if Will is gonna get me to school on time then should do a better job at waking me up on time.
     "El, hey El, get up. You have to get ready. We're late and i need you to get up." He beggs me. I really hate waking up in the morning, but the fact that I'm pretty sure i only got 4 hours of sleep last night doesn't make anything better. It feels like a wave of cold water hits me as i start to panic. My body suddenly becomes aware of everything all at once and I'm suddenly crying and wide awake.
     "B-but if i go then I'll have to l-leave you and i don't want to leave you and i-" I whisper as i start coughing on my own tears which are streaming nice and warm on my face "-i dont want to have to leave you again Will i just want to stay here with you and Mom and Da-" this time my sentence is interrupted by Will dragging me upwards from my bed and pulling me into his arms. My lungs heave for air as the room spins in circles.
     "El I'm not gonna leave you. I don't care if they try and take me away but I'mnot going anywhere. You'll be a-okay." He says that a lot. A-okay. I don't know why, but i like it. I look up at him and see quiet tears straking down his face. "El, we just- we just have to be brave. Okay Eleanor do you hear me?"

     It's a bit cold outside as i hold my brother's hand at the pickup zone. I look down at my feet and there's red dirt all over the ground. It's everywhere, actually and i have no idea why. I look at Will and he's looking out at the red dirt too. Is he also thinking about the red dirt? Or is it just me?
     The sun is just starting to rise as i hear the bus pull up to our zone stop. I look at Will and follow him into the cold bus, passing a couple soldiers with big guns, and then sit next to him near the middle. There aren't many people on yet, and I'm glad because i really want some quiet right now. I look up at Will again and he gives me a smile that looks fake even though he's trying. I try to give him a smile back but i don't think it was too convincing. He reaches over for my hand and gives it a squeeze before returning to look back out the window.
      I feel a surge of electricity over me as i realize once again where I'm going. I reach over and grab Will's arm, and just as if he read my mind, starts to try and bring me back to earth by stroking my arm and letting me cry silently into his shoulder.
     "We're gonna be okay."
     "No one is gonna hurt you."
     "I'm not gonna let them take you.         away from me."
     "I promise."
      Sometimes lies can be comforting, eventhough you know it isn't true.