Birthdays

December 20th. It had been a year since it happened. I knew I should have moved on by now, that it wasn't right to still be mourning a year after the incident. Still, there I lay, on my bed, missing her and wanting her. My phone suddenly sounded with her best friend Mera's ringtone. I opened the message to find pictures of-

It was her. Carly, the one girl I wiId to avoid today. The caption was "One year! I miss her so much!"

I had to put down my phone. It wasn't Mera's fault, I knew that, but still, I couldn't stop the waterfall of emotions that flooded me and flowed out in the form of tears. It had really been a whole year. 52 weeks, 12 months, 365 days, and each and every one of those spent remembering. But, how could I forget?

Its fucking flashback time we're heading to 2014 wattpad with these italics

It was over. It was finally over. I didn't want to begin counting heads of the remaining people, but knew I had to. As I went through to count and count again, there was something that didn't feel right in her stomach. There was an emptiness, something, or someone, who wasn't by her side. When I counted a third time, I began to shake. I couldn't find Carly, my girlfriend. I raced to some of the medics to ask if she had been seen, but was met with sad eyes and twisted hands. No one had an answer for me. Mera was the only one with any kind of answer.

"The last I heard I was searching the field for any injured kids."

I was gone.

The closer I got to the expansive, terrible field that the fight had occurred on, the slower I ran, until finally slowing to a walk. The sight before her was gruesome. Bodies lay strewn on the field, crushing flowers and feeding blood to the thirsty soil. In the center of the terrifyingly peaceful scene stood a man, covered in blood. He was standing over something, and had seemingly not noticed my quick arrival. As I quietly stepped forward to inspect, her heart dropped. I could just make out a head of hair a color lovingly familiar to me .

"Hey!" I shouted, jerking his attention away from the body on the ground, "Are you just going to stand there all day?"

He snarled, and vanished into the open air. I was still tense, my knife in hand, but when nothing happened for a few heartbeats, I rushed to the aid of the familiar figure on the ground, but was met with an image that I would see every time I closed my eyes for a long time.

Carly's beautiful body, bruised and quickly bleeding out, laying in a bed of asphodel flowers. I quickly sat to the ground, and pulled her head into my lap, which seemed to arouse her from the depths of unconsciousness. As she looked up with heavy eyes, her lips parted into a weak smile as her eyes met mine.

"Sara.."

I didn't let her say anything else before quickly shushing her.

"I'm gonna get you home, baby. I won't let you die."

As I attempted to lift her, she groaned in pain and I set her back down to the ground. The slight movement appeared to have winded her, and we sat in silence as she shakily caught her breath before speaking again.

"Don't. Can't you feel it? It won't be long before I'll leave you, Sara."

"I'm not letting you leave me. Wherever you go, I will, remember?"

She placed her hand on her stomach and over mine as my face wet itself with tears.

"You can't leave me like this. What about New York City? Greece? Our two kids and two cats, the Volkswagen and two story house? We haven't gotten there yet, Carly. The grown-up wine and adult parties? High school reunions and job promotions?"

Carly laughed, even if it seemed to hurt her more.

"I love you, Sara. I'll remember our Volkswagen and the cats, I promise."

As she spoke, a tear of mine dropped onto her cheek, but neither of us cared about anything at that moment but the other. When Carly next spoke, she began to do so quickly and urgently, as if she knew her time left was miniscule.

"I mean that Sara. Please remember it. I love you and our crazy fantasies. I hope you can do that with whomever you love next."

"I only love you, Carly."

She smiled softly, and her eyes began closing. I quickly shook her.

"You're not leaving! I need to get help."

As my eyes scanned the surrounding area to see if anyone had wandered our direction, I heard a soft sigh and Carly's head and hands went limp in mine. My heart dropped to hers, and the crashing waves of tears I was holding back came through.

"I love you too."

End the fucking flashback thats longer than the rest of the damn story

A soft knock gently pulled me back from the year before, and I wiped my eyes and nose and rose to open the door. It was Lana, and my heart fluttered in my chest. Lana was my really good friend, and she always cheered me up when I was sad ((what the fuck emma you need to fix that bitchass sentence))

"Hey Sara, I know it's your birthday and all, so I bought something that I thought you'd like."

I immediately shook my head.

"My last birthday gift was my girlfriend dying. I'm not a fan of presents."

But as I spoke, she pulled out a small black box, and opened it. Inside was a small necklace that had a gorgeous honey color.

Lana looked a little nervous as she began to explain the gift.

"I thought you might like it, since your eyes..." she trailed off, leaving me confused.

"My eyes are blue, aren't they? Or am I just colorblind?"

She giggled a little before continuing on.

"It's the same color as the flecks of brown in your eyes. I thought it would be a nice compliment to them."

I turned to my mirror and began inspecting my eyes ((ORBS)) closely, looking for the spots of brown that Lana claimed to exist. As I turned back, Lana's face was red, however I didn't question it.

"I can't see anything in them. Are you sure you aren't seeing things?"

And suddenly she was inches from my face, so close I could feel her soft breath.

"I can see them. If you just look close enough you'll notice."

But I didn't want to move. Something told me to stay there, to look in her eyes and not move.

"You have spots of blue in your eyes." I said softly, my mouth moving before my brain had a chance to think. Lana smiled.

"I guess that means we're matching, huh?"

She kissed me, and suddenly the world made sense. Her lips were soft, and her lip gloss tasted like cherry, my favorite fruit. It was a delicate kiss, almost as if she was scared to kiss me, but I kissed her back the same way. When she pulled away, I saw nothing but love in her eyes.

"Happy birthday."

Later that night, all I could see was the brown in my eyes.