Chapter 6 - Coffee

I thought I would start off this chapter by apologising for my lack of updating, but I have had really important exams. Thank you to everyone who has been so patient.

As I walked to Starbucks, constantly checking the time on my phone I wondered if I should have ever agreed to meet Brad for coffee.

We hadn’t stopped talking since he had texted me randomly. We had so much to catch up on from the past 3 years, and it was hard not to reply.

He kept on asking if we could meet for a coffee but I always denied his offer. I told him that I was really busy with all my University work and I just couldn’t find the time at the moment.

That was partly true, but I was also incredibly wary to see him after all these years.

Studying Comparative Literature and Film Studies meant that I was constantly writing essays or, would you believe it, watching films (which trust me is actually more taxing than you would think) I didn’t even have a lot of time to see Ed, which really put a halt on our relationship.

I haven’t told him about Brad, and I really don’t intend to tell him soon.  I tell myself that I’m keeping Ed from knowing about him because he will think badly of me and wonder what relationship I have with Brad.

To be honest I think part of me wants to keep Brad from Ed because I’m worried that something will happen. That’s why I have been declining his offer of coffee for the past week.

Until today.

So here I am, walking to Starbucks, my heart beating rapidly against my ribcage, to meet Brad for a coffee.

“I’m at Starbucks. I’ll grab a table x”

After I have read the message I put away my phone into my bag.

Shit he is already there.

The building suddenly appears up ahead and my breathing becomes irregular.

What’s wrong with me? It’s just Brad?

Right?

Exactly.

It’s just Brad.

Bradley Will Simpson that I used to love and adore three years ago.

The boy that broke my heart and left me…

I take in a deep breath as I push open the door into the building. 

My eyes scan the room and my heart skips a beat as they focus on a mop of curly hair on a table at the back.

The door slams shut behind me and I curse myself for not paying attention as he looks up from his phone.

Shit that’s really him.

A smile breaks out onto his face and he stares at me, disbelieving that I’m truly there.

I slowly walk over to him from the door and he stands up as I reach the table.

Just as I’m about to open my mouth and greet him he wraps his arms around me.

I breathe in his scent and close my eyes as he continues to embrace me.

“I can’t believe it’s really you!” He exclaims, his voice slightly muffled from behind me.

We break the hug and I sit down at the table, placing my bag on the floor.

“I bought you a drink already.” He grins at me and pushes over a Caramel Frappuccino; my favourite.

“You didn’t have to. Thank you.” I smiled, and relaxed into the chair as he took a sip from his drink.

“So how have you been?” He asks me, breaking the silence.

“Since this morning, fine thank you.”

Brad hadn’t stopped texting me, and every morning when I woke up there would always be a message from him.

“Sorry it’s just crazy that you are actually here.” Brad laughs, the huge grin still plastered across his face.

“Yeah I know. It’s good to see you.” I say as I look up into his brown eyes and smile gently.