Mass murderer, alien, god. It told myself, He tried to kill you, remember?

"I was just about to go in to SHIELD." I told him quietly. What would he think of this?

"Why?" He asked.

"I have to talk to Fury." I replied, taking a step toward the door.

Loki touched the bruise on his face, and I almost laughed. The wound had been caused because of my last talk with the director after all.

"It will be fine, I'm sure. I won't come back as angry as I did yesterday." I hope.

Loki narrowed his eyes. "Can I come?" He asked after a second. I wondered if he was just as stir crazy as I was. Maybe even more so. I could imagine Loki exploring the great palace of Asgard, the gardens, and the entire planet, because it was all his. This entire house must seem minuscule and boring compared to that.

Even so, I replied, "I don't think that's a good idea."

Loki looked disappointed, and I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. I lightly cupped his cheek with my hand, he was that close. "We'll do something later tonight." Maybe.

I quickly wondered if I had crossed the line. Was touching his cheek too intimate for our situation? I took a step back, my cheeks on fire. God, I had never blushed so much than in this past week.

I left and arrived at the helicarrier base about a half around later. I was very disappointed that the actual base wasn't done yet. I was really excited to see what Stark had come up with.

Once inside the base, I asked to find Fury and a young looking agent led me to the director. He was sitting in his office, staring out of the large window behind his desk.

"Director." I said calmly.

"Agent." Fury said without turning around. "What can I help you with?"

He finally turned around and fixed me with a one-eyed stare. I blinked.

"It's about Loki." He raised an eyebrow, so I continued, "He told me has an army of sorts, and that they want him to retrieve something. But...I don't know what." That was all I had. It seemed like nothing, now.

Fury blinked and nodded. He didn't say anything. I had nothing left to say.

"Thank you."

So much for driving all of the way out here.

I got back, and I think I lied to Loki when I said that I wouldn't be angry after arriving back. Loki noticed.

I sat on the couch, crossed my arms, and thought about my 'conversation' with Fury, fuming.

"Are you alright?" Loki asked nervously when I sat down.

I let out a long sigh, not really sure what to say. I hated this job, I wished I had never signed up to extract information. Especially from the most difficult, most secretive man in the universe. "No," I said eventually, defeated.

"Are you mad at me?" Loki asked, and though he didn't say it, I could hear the silent again in his voice.

"No, not at you," I replied quietly. "I'm furious with the director. Everything that's happening is his fault."

Loki let out a sigh of his own. "Actually, everything is my fault." I glanced at him in surprise. He was staring at me, his eyes sincere. "Don't look at me like that. You know it's true."

I let out a small laugh. "No, I'm just surprised that you would admit to something like that. Usually, you're so..." I decided not to finish my sentence.

"Look," Loki began. "If I'm being honest, I wish I could tell you what happened to me. I do." I wanted to say something along the lines of 'I didn't know the god of lies could be honest' but I held my tongue as he continued. "But you saw for yourself what happened when I tried. I just can't."

That's when I thought about it. Really thought about it. I mean, he did give me something, so that has to mean he can give me more.

"I mean...you could. You just...don't want to."

"I could, maybe. But it would be painful. I would probably die if those ugly veins...whatever they are...reaches my heart. I'm not entirely sure." He responded sourly.

"You could try," I added hopefully.

"I'll die, Natasha. That's the point of the spell on the sword." He indicated his wound. "It'll kill me if I say too much." He paused, sounding not quite as sure. "I think."

"But you could try," I said, realizing how heartless I sounded but not really caring. If he died, would it matter so much? He had murdered hundreds; did he really deserve to live? But I knew what I was telling myself wasn't what I really thought. I couldn't bear to see him die, not when I knew I could have helped him.

Loki sounded hurt as he responded to my dry statement, "Did you not hear me? I will die."
There was still that silent, uncertain 'I think' in his voice. He, for once, did not know.

"I heard you." I whispered, "And I think you should try despite that."

Loki swallowed. He looked angry and disappointed. "Right. Despite the fact that I will die, I should do it anyway. Let me think about that." He stood up and began to head for his room.

"Loki...I didn't mean-"

"No, no. I get it. I'm used to it, trust me." And he left for his room and stayed there the rest of the day. He didn't even come out to eat.

Happy New Year, everyone! Let's make 2019 a great year!