Chapter 4 _Photo Part 2

The package arrived ten minutes into the lunch break, just after his second class.

Shen Wei was sitting at his desk, staring at the phone, trying to decide if now was the right time to call Yunlan, with the time difference, or if he should wait. The conference was important for Yunlan's career, and for the reputation of SID, providing a wider platform for Yunlan to shine in the eyes of his superiors that judged him so harshly.

The man himself hated every second and had phoned last night in the early hours of the morning, literally minutes after Shen Wei had returned home, after saving Zhao Xin Ci.

He had been flustered and despite centuries of training, battle experience and constant awareness of his surroundings, he had nearly tripped on his own robes. Thankful that no one had seen the embarrassing moment. He had ended up sitting on his own sofa, still wearing the black cloak of the Envoy, breathlessly listening to that strong, dulcet voice, that was evidently half drunk. The soft but clear, "I miss you." made his heart sing, his hand reaching for the denim jacket he had appropriated the night before.

He would place it back in his closet, before he came home, but for now it let him breathe in the intoxicating scent of Zhao Yunlan.

Yunlan had promised that he was in bed, safe back at the hotel, after being forced to go drinking with his superiors. He had admitted that there had been escorts at the party, barely dressed and it burned to know that most of them had wanted his Yunlan. Preferably naked and alone.

Only the whine that he had run out of lollipops, was bored out of his mind and that the tea was horrible, prevented him from opening a portal to that hotel room. If he was complaining, he was fine. While everyone else was drinking, completely distracted, he had apparently escaped, returning to his room to call his lover in another city.

Shen Wei had prompted him to order dinner, worried that alcohol was going to spark his agonizing stomachache. This had the added bonus of allowing them to eat dinner together as they always did now, even miles apart with Shen Wei entertaining him, with the latest SID case and gossip.

So, when the delivery had arrived with a fresh-faced man that looked no older than most of his students, he had signed for the box and stood there confused, staring at the familiar handwriting of Da Qing.

Eventually, using his letter opener, the one that Yunlan liked to play with, he slowly cut open the tape. Inside, was a large paper wrapped square. Cutting it open, folding the paper to reuse at a later date, he revealed a large book inside another smaller box.

Not a book. A photo album.

A photo album in brown leather, tied with a long cord, decorated with beads, blue thread and blue feathers. Zhao Yunlan would have said that it looked like a cat toy. But, it reminded him sharply of Kunlun. His warrior had always worn blue, in the cords tied in his hair, the beads and the material of his robes. It brought tears to his eyes, thinking of him.

For long minutes he stared at the album, the soft leather warm in his hands.

He had asked for a photo and Da Qing had given him an album.

Inside the box, there was a letter. It was plain white copier paper, folded neatly in half and Da Qing had written in traditional Mandarin; 'These are some of my copies. Keep it. Don't let him see it.'

His heart was beating wildly, like it had the moment they were reunited or the times of old, when he was so young and his first few battles had been nearly been his last.

Taking a deep breath, he used his dark energy to subtly lock the door, this moment too precious for interruption. Checking the clock, he saw that he still had an hour until his next class, an hour before he was needed. Yunlan would call him if he was free and if he was not, he would call him later during the next break time, or tonight when the University was empty and he was alone in this office, missing foxfire eyes.