thirty-one

it had all happened so fast. billy was stood on stage, attempting to quiet everyone down when the bolt came crashing down. he laid on the stage, motionless, as the gilbert quickly closed the curtains. autumn rushed to the boys aid, lifting his head into her lap and cradling it in her hands. "billy?" she whispers, worried for the boy. mrs. andrews rushes beside them, looking at autumn. "get him out of this wretched thing!" she exclaims, staring at her. autumn nods, tugging on the owl costume as she pulls it off of him. she then looks at bash, who gilbert had brought along for extra help on set. "is this your doing?" she yells, "you savage brute. shame on you!" mrs. andrews glances at autumn, asking her to help her with billy. simultaneously, autumn and mrs. andrews lift up billy, helping him walk. "oh, thank you, darling. it is very much appreciated. i'll be sure to tell billy you were there to help. now, runalong! you mustn't miss the closing!" she expresses, shooing away the girl. autumn, however, did not move an inch. she had made up her mind that she would not leave billy's side. "pardon me, mrs. andrews. i don't mean to be rude, but i will not leave billy. especially not like this." she says, watching the half conscious boy. mrs. andrews watches her for a while before nodding, guiding her back to the house.

sat inside, billy rested his head against autumn's shoulder. the two sat on the couch, staring at the roaring fire that was lit not too long ago. "billy," autumn starts, forgetting the boys state, "what are we?" with him resting on her, she wondered about their relationship. billy moans, questioning what she meant. "i-i mean, where do we stand with each other? we surely aren't just friends... but we aren't exactly in love with one another." this made billy pick up his head, blood rushing towards his brain. autumn had said the wrong thing. "are you not in love with me, autumn? i-i mean you didn't say it back when i had. and-and now you're saying that we're not in love. but i am. i'm in love with you, autumn maree winters." tears formed in the girl's eyes. of course she loved him, she was in love with him. "i do, billy. i do. i'm in love with you. hopelessly, deeply, madly in love with you. it's just... josie. and you. what if they make fun of you? what do we do? do you want to be seen with me in public?" autumn stares at her hands, still cold from the winter air. despite the burning fire, she shivers. billy takes his right hand, pressing it against her cheek. she lets him, smaling into his hand. "i don't care," he says, "all i know is that i want you. i want to make you smile when you feel you can't. i want to make you laugh until your stomach hurts. i want to be there, support you for whatever. i think i want to marry you, autumn. obviously not now, but perhaps, if you still love me, some time in the future." autumn smiled, thinking about a future with billy andrews. she knew it was unlikely, however. it was known that most school sweethearts hardly last. her heart sank at the thought of either one of them left with a broken heart. "if you ask, and i am still in love with you. i will marry you, billy andrews. but for now, how about we just promise to love each other until we can't anymore?" billy nods, wanting to say more. he didn't know what else to say, but he knew he needed to ask. to make it official.

"autumn maree winters, will you be my girl?"