Smile

His smile, it was still on her mind as she sipped tea alone in the kitchen. As entertaining as the whole thing played out, his reaction was something she'd never expect. It even made her feel a little warmth inside, which felt odd. 

"So you put her up to that?" Levi's voice reached her ears. She hadn't even realized he walked in the room, her thoughts too over bearing. He was in causal clothing now and pouring himself a cup of tea. "Are you going to answer or are you going to keep staring at me?" 

Mikasa stopped hunching over her cup and sat up in a more presentable manner. Levi took a seat next to her but faced forwards, not meeting her eyes. "What happens if I say yes?" It was a valid question. Mikasa had never been afraid of getting into trouble and she knew that she wouldn't but something made her want to elongate their conversation.

"If you say yes, then I'm correct and it was you who asked Historia to hit her former captain," Levi looked at her now but his expression wasn't angry. It was neutral in the sense that was calming to her. 

Mikasa turned slowly in her chair and met his eyes. "Then my answer is yes." 

"Why," he asked immediately and caught her off guard.

"She's the queen now. One last goodbye right? You can't punish her anyway." Mikasa took a sip of her tea. "Although personally, I would have gone for the face." 

"Harsh," Levi said, taking a sip of his own drink but never breaking eye contact with Mikasa. 

After a few moments of silence, Mikasa looked down at her feet and back up again. The question left her mouth before she could even decide on whether or not she wanted to say it. "What made you smile like that?" 

Levi placed down his cup and leaned an arm on the table, once again facing Mikasa. She figured he would be upset, angry even. Who was she to ask that kind of question? But to her surprise, he answered. "I don't know," he shrugged. "I've been thinking a lot lately and I don't think I've ever thanked you brats before. So thank you, Mikasa." 

Mikasa stared at him, dumbfounded. His words made her chest feel warm, like a ball of emotions just bursting. Again, words fell from her lips without her consent. "It suits you." Then it was Levi who froze, staring at the girl in front of him. They've known each other a while by now but the things that came from her mouth still took him by surprise.

Not thinking too clearly, Levi inched closer to her. "You have one smart mouth don't you, Mikasa?" Their fingers were mere centimeters away from each other on the table. "It shouldn't be you who's complimenting me, now is it?'

To that, her cheeks turned a light tint if pink and her lips curled up into a soft smile. "Don't say things like that," she almost whispered. Levi's eyes trailed down to her delicate lips that somehow spoke to him, and only him. Again, he got closer to her as Mikasa placed a hand on his shoulder, their faces dangerously close together. 

"Oi Mikasa," Levi spoke in a breathy tone and the minty scent of tea in his breath filled the space between them. "Don't smile like that, not at me." Something about her made his heart do cartwheels in his chest. And to see her with happiness displayed all over her, god it made him want to always be the cause of that beautiful smile. 

Not meaning to, Mikasa quietly giggled at Levi's words, never imagining something like that to come out of his mouth; not to her at least. The butterflies in Levi's stomach went wild at the sweet sound of her laugh. He was caught in a trance, just staring into her grey orbs. "Captain?" Mikasa asked, her giggling still there but slowly subsiding. "Captain?"

A light kiss was planted on her cheek. He didn't know what was going on. After the whole Historia situation, Levi had never felt so light and filled with hope before. Yes, he realized she'd probably kill him or report him, but in that moment somehow it didn't matter. He wasn't blind, he could probably count the amount of times they met each other's eyes in just one day, how many times their fingers "accidentally" touched, or how many times they caught one another staring from afar. He never had the courage to bring it up, but now he did. 

Levi met her gaze, "You. I thank you the most brat." 

Frozen and shocked, Mikasa's lips slightly parted. Levi grabbed his cup and stood up, making his way to the sink. "...Captain-"

"I can't ignore it anymore." He carefully placed the cup in the sink and leaned his back on the table. Mikasa was still in her chair, only now she was looking down and her hair covered her face. 

Levi was worried for a moment but then the sweet sound reached his ears once more. She laughed. She laughed and looked up at him with rosy cheeks. "I'm glad."Relieved, Levi rushed over to her and held her hands. She followed him with her eyes as he sat in front of her again. "But aren't I a little old to be called brat?"

And to that, Levi smiled.