Happy Birthday, Mello

Mello didn’t care much about his birthday but I wanted to make it special for him. I decided I’d give him a gift for each day in December leading up to his birthday. Not highly original, but I hoped still maybe romantic. (Yes, I’m his girlfriend in this fic, a fangirl can dream) There wasn’t much he cared about though, so I ran out of ideas after day one and decided just to wake up early each day and surround him with chocolate. I couldn’t go wrong with chocolate (unless I ate it first) Plus, it means y'all don’t have to read twelve days and I can skip straight to the best part.

Day 13: Mello’s Birthday

Needless to say, Mello was loving the extra chocolate. I’d bought him different types each day and he said it was the best way to wake up ever. He was getting used to it, so he was shocked to wake up on his birthday and find none.

“Happy birthday, Mello,” I greeted him.

“Yeah, but where’s my chocolate?”

“Where are your manners?”

I handed him a gift and he tore the paper off to reveal a random book. He looked heartbroken.

“This is my gift?” He asked, still in shock.

“It’s supposed to be a good book,” I replied with a casual shrug.

“You can shove it up your hole!” He shouted as he threw the book at a wall. “I hate you, I want chocolate!”

“Then you’ll have to go buy it yourself.”

He got up and dressed without a word, then left the room. I followed him quietly as he strode towards the front door grabbing his keys and wallet on the way. He flung open the door and nearly jumped out of his skin.

“Surprise!”

There was a redhead standing outside the door holding a big basket of chocolate. Mello’s mouth dropped open in surprise. Not because of the chocolate, but the person holding it.

“Matt? Oh my Jeevas, where the fuck did you come from?”

“Nice greeting, Mello. I bring you all this chocolate and you curse at me?” Matt grinned but Mello took him seriously.

“No - I’m just surprised."

"A nice surprise, I hope?” Matt asked.

“Yes!”

“Mello, don’t be rude, invite him in,” I interrupted. “He’s your real gift.”

“Yeah, she tracked me down and invited me here,” Matt explained.

“It’s true. I know how much you missed him.”

Mello looked close to tears. He’d always talked about his childhood best friend and how he’d never had another true friend.

“Hug!” I shouted, so they did as I took a photo.

“This is better than chocolate!” Mello yelled, then blushed and tried to take it back.

“I was joking!” He insisted.

“OK, I believe you,” I grinned, though of course I didn’t.