Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Rosé."

I hum, looking up at him.

"You've got some," my heart stops when Noah reaches out and wipes his thumb over my lips, "On your lips."

I gulp as he chuckles.

He's being considerate yet I'm freaking out from his touch. That felt so gentle. I tame the blood that is rushing to my cheeks and drink my milkshake.

The rest of the time we spend there, we talk about his football games. Seeing Noah speak so passionately about his sport makes me happy. We talk about Halloween. I tell him the time I went trick or treating with Nate and he ended up making all the kids cry over his Scream costume. That was not a good night for him.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Noah pulls up in front of my house. The last two hours with him have been fun. Talking with Noah feels like we have known each other for years. He makes everything that I say sound so articulate yet appreciated. He jokes around a lot and I adore that. If I had more time, I would have stayed longer but I can't break a promise to my brother.

"Thanks for tonight Noah, I had a lot of fun. I would have loved to stay longer but I gotta help Nate with the Halloween decorations." I look towards the front door.

He still hasn't brought out the decorations. He's probably waiting for me.

"You're decorating the house?"

"Yeah. Carving pumpkins is always chaotic in our home." I joke and he laughs.

"That sounds like fun." Something in his voice sounds distant and sad.

"I really did have fun tonight." I touch his hand and smile at him.

He smiles and my heart flutters. His smile is contagious.

I open his car door and step out.

"Goodnight, Noah." I close the door and walk to the front.

I wave him bye before getting inside. Just as I step into my house, I see my brother walk out of the kitchen. His face is covered in orange chunks of pumpkins.

"How was your date?" He asks as soon as he sees me. A relieved expression on his face.

"Not a date," I grumble as I walk into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water, "But it was good."

"Good as in good or good as in good?" Nate's choice of words and the suggestive eyebrow wriggle have me choking on the water, a little amused.

"Nate."

"What? Just curious, I want my baby sister being safe—"

"Oh my gosh Nate, shut up."

He laughs and directs me towards the back garden.

"Come on, that pipsqueak has been annoying me for the past two hours." He groans.

He may sound like he finds my best friend annoying but deep down I know he really cares for Aaliyah.

"She just adores you." I point out and he rolls his eyes.

"Call me a pipsqueak again and I'm gonna shove this pumpkin up your ass, hottie." Aaliyah stands with a huge pumpkin in her hands, glaring at Nate.

I grin.

Nate sighs, completely tired of us.

<3 <3 <3 <3

"Ew, what is that?" Aaliyah snorts at the carved pumpkin that I just finished.

It has oddly shaped eyes and a mouth too wonky. I stare at my artwork in satisfaction.