The Final Pirouette of My Life [Prologue]

The Final Pirouette Of My Life.

© Copyright, all rights reserved ©

~By Kaleda~

Prologue~

The bright yellow stage lights boomed down onto the dusty black stage, the audience cheering deafeningly from all around it. Everyone was yelling backstage too, and people were bustling about, jostling me every which way as they bumped into me in their blind hurry. The smell of old shoes, hair spray, and sweat filled my nose and gave me the worst headache in the world. There was a sick taste in my mouth at what was about to go down.

All of that, everything, it just blurred together in one big uncomfortable mess. I was a mess, standing alone, peering out behind the velvet curtains obsessively. 'I can't do this,' I panicked as I took in the crowd, and the people, and the cheering, and the stage, and the lights, and the people, all watching every move... every single move... I couldn't do this!!!

I never backed down from anything in my life. I was the toughest girl you could ever know. I was a survivor of pain, a believer of happiness, a risk-taker in decisions, and an angel in dance. I was a passionate, deep person, who had a heart and a soul and a conscience. And *nobody* messed with that.

But right now, that was all gone, and I was shaking and breathing fast and hard, my heart swelling with remorse and my veins pulsing with anxiety at what I was about to do.

"Maria."

His soft voice was in my ear instantly. My heart pulse softened at his gentle touch of my arm. My tense muscles relaxed and a soothing feeling of happiness spread over me. I leaned back into him, letting go of the curtain and closing my eyes drowsily, tired from all my stress, and he held me, his strong grip never faltering. I smelled the minty scent of his breath as he whispered, "You can do it."

And then I suddenly knew that... I could.