Next, Arabeil gave them the urge to travel in opposition to her twin brother Crax's Dwarven race. No Halfling would ever be at home in a confined environment like the Dwarves. As a final point, she looked to the oldest of her siblings for her greatest challenge. Rowan created the humans to embody nobility, grace, and the will to enjoy one's existence. To balance those qualities, he granted them shorter life spans than the rest of the Pyrainian races, meant as an example to the other races as well as his siblings that everything must come to an end. Excited about the prospect of her creation, Arabeil placed her brother's mantra "Living life to the fullest" as the main driving force for the Halflings.

Arabeil chose to omit the traits of her remaining siblings' creations from her own. Narsa enjoyed anarchy and hated anything beautiful, hence her creations such as Ogres, Goblins, Hobgobins, etc were hideous. After being shunned, Narsa felt insulted, hence her creations sought to destroy those of all her siblings.

Not to be outdone, Draco did the opposite of Arabeil and created the dragons that embodied everything the rest held in high standards, alas they included the darkness of Narsa's creations. But it was worth it to maintain balance, which he claimed was essential. Thus, Arabeil didn't mimic anything from him, stating his creations were perfect and couldn't be duplicated. Already smug and arrogant, such praise created incredible tension between Draco and his other siblings. Because of that, Arabeil couldn't be blamed by their father for causing trouble.

On the day the first of the Halflings took their first breath, the rest of Pyrain didn't know what was unleashed on their world. Since then, the Halflings became some of the most prevalent thieves the world had ever known. A lock couldn't be made they couldn't pick, not a pocket or change purse was safe from the master pickpockets, and due to their size, quick feet, and quicker wits, they proved to be difficult for the larger races to catch and throw in prison. Compared to rabbits more than anything else, a Halfling caused most people to break out in cold sweat and dread the day they met one of the cursed creatures.

Such is the reputation that will follow the last Halfling to their deathbed. Though examples are plentiful, few believe the stories of noble Halflings existing as they're overshadowed by the negative rumors most hold dear.

It's the last category Janessa believed herself to be in, if she was ever asked the question. Like most Halflings, she wasn't evil or conniving like her people were made to sound. The other races have more inherited darkness in their hearts than the worst of the Halflings. Those were some of the thoughts flowing through Janessa's mind while she worked on the lock to the entranceway of the tunnels. She didn't take offense at what had been said; she was pleased and happy she was able to surround herself with such a collection, even though it was by accident.

With a click, the lock opened. Beaming with pride, Janessa stood to open the door and wondered if her new friends would like to go to her home, the home of all Halflings: Journlest. The Halfling word for journey. Hopeful they would, she pulled on the metal rung meant as a handle but it didn't budge.

Certain she hadn't pulled hard enough, Janessa was about to try again when Galin took hold to help her. She couldn't help but smile at him. Galin flushed. "No offense, lass, but it is large and undoubtedly heavy."

"None taken. I'm big enough to know when I'm overmatched." She noticed Berek crouch next to them and search for a handhold along the side. "I'll be offended if the three of us fail to budge it."

Berek smiled. "We could use a couple of Ogres. I hear they have a good grip."

Gilliam chuckled while both Viola and Janessa looked at the humans for any hint of what they meant. The only hint they had was the look on Galin's now bright red face, which Viola couldn't see. "Now's not the time, lads. Ready? One... Two... Three!" The three pulled at the door with everything they had, but it didn't budge. Their exasperation was voiced by Galin as he threw curses at it that would make a sailor blush.