In a singular motion, he lifted the mace above his head and a brilliant white light burst from it. While not harmful to the shadows, the light did force the spirits back as well as cover all those it touched with a protective barrier against the fear the spirits caused. The companions gathered behind him before he could utter a word for them to do so.

Gilliam looked over his shoulder. "You know where the entrance is?"

It took Janessa a moment to realize he was asking her. Lost in the brilliance and wonder at what the cleric had done, she nodded. "Yes, behind that building over there." She pointed to what looked to be a dilapidated warehouse.

Gilliam nodded. "Stay within the light." He didn't need to say anything else; the companions understood and obeyed without hesitation. Without a sound, they made their way towards the warehouse as one. Berek walked the rearguard position, even though nothing was there to threaten them, and kept his eyes scanning through the darkness. Much as his uncle had been surprised by his own abilities, Berek was likewise by his uncle's. He never would've dreamed Gilliam could summon such a thing. Though Berek would've been disappointed to hear it, Gilliam didn't believe it possible himself. In this, Gilliam knew he was merely a vessel for the power to flow through.

Though the pace set by the cleric was steady, it seemed to take forever and a day to reach the entrance to the tunnels. Each of their steps brought them closer, but the weight of the fear caused by the spirits made the distance seem so enormous. As if the spirits hoped Gilliam's power would fade and they'd feast once more on the companion's fear, they continued assaulting the barrier of light with each step the companions took.

Though it was difficult to instill fear in a Halfling — life is one big adventure to them — the feat proved easy during an adventure when the rest of their party were already on edge. "Is the light hurting them?" Janessa couldn't help but ask. Even though they were spirits, she felt for them.

The other companions hadn't shown the slightest concern for the ghosts of Peasant's View except for Gilliam. As a cleric of Fallor, it was his duty to heal the living and combat the unholy undead. The dead, however, were subjects of both reverence and sympathy. Some chose to revere them for not wanting to leave their loved ones without a guardian while others held them in sympathy for not letting go and continuing the journey to their next life.

Gilliam found himself in the middle of the two opinions. He preferred to revere the dead for their lives, be they successful or not, and he held those unable, or unwilling, to rest with deep sympathy. As a cleric of light, he would never do, nor wish harm, on the spirits forever seeking peace. Thus, he was surprised by the Halfling's question. Most others feared the dead, viewing any and all spirits as evil and demonic. Janessa's concern touched him; perhaps there was a hope for the little thieves after all.

"No, it doesn't hurt them. It's what they're seeking but are afraid of at the same time." Gilliam's response both answered and intrigued the Halfling, but before she could ask more, he froze in place causing her to walk into his back.

"Bellow's Fire!" Galin exclaimed. "Have you put us in danger, mystic?" The others halted as the Dwarf's words burned into their minds, and they understood at once what power Gilliam held blazing from his mace.

Gilliam paused to look at Galin and the others, then back to the brilliant light emanating from his mace. None of them realized until then that the light should've blinded them all and been a beacon for the entire city in the darkness with the clouds concealing the full moon above them. Instead, it cast no light on their surroundings. Even they were dark shapes under the protective influence cast about them. It was warm and inviting, but none of them felt drawn or called to it. The light was the comforting arm of a mother around her child, the love of a couple embracing, but it wasn't for them.