"What about a car accident? Three people get in a car accident and two die." He stated. I blinked.

"Well, by saving those two, you'd probably be killing two other people. Most likely the third party because they survived. Sure, they'd live thinking they were lucky while the other two lived on happily as halfbloods, but eventually that third person would die not too long after. Another car accident. Mugged on the street." I offered. Mark grimaced, but said nothing else, making me frown as he sipped his Sprite, then slumped his head on the picnic table with a sigh.

"This whole thing is complicated." He grunted at last. I snorted.

"You try being one of me."

"Why don't you just say vampires?"

"Because. That's a word humans made up to describe us as evil. We're not evil. We're just like any other animal fighting for survival." I added, making Mark sit up and rest his head in his hands, studying me.

"I guess that kinda makes sense." He admitted. I nodded and went on to finish my drink before putting the cap back on, tucking it into my bag. Mark finished his burger, but very hesitantly.

"I think I'm gonna become a vegetarian." He grumbled, pushing his sandwhich away. I raised an eyebrow.

"You'd still be like me." I replied, making Mark groan in disbelief.

"What're you talking about? Vegetarians eat plants."

"Plants were living."

"Oh, come on!"

"What? I'm just being factual. Come on, we need to get inside before class starts." I added, glancing at the large clock that sat above the double doors outside the cafeteria. Mark huffed, picking up his tray and dumping it into the garbage by the doors, dusting his hands off.

"I didn't even get to smoke because you were distracting me, jerk." He accused. I rolled my eyes, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans, balancing my bag on my shoulder.

"You know, it's those habits is why my kind will smell death on you. When we smell that someone is already going to die, we usually don't beat around the bush if we're starving." I added, making Mark grimace, then scowl.

"You just drank a whole two liter of O positive, man, you ain't starving." He retorted, making me shrug. I started to say something else, but the slightest movement out the corner of my eye made my muscles tense in alert.

"Mark--" I barely got to finish as one of the guys playing basketball shoved Mark back with his elbow. Mark stumbled and almost fell over, but caught his balance on the trash can. For a second, Mark looked caught off guard before his eyes flames and he shot back up, shoving the basketball player hard and almost on top of me if I hadn't of sidestepped, which allowed the larger human to hit the ground.

"Hey," One of his teammates barked at Mark, giving him a shove in the chest, "Why don't you just go overdose or something, little faggot?" Mark took a sharp step back and I winced at how cruel of a thing that was to say, but Mark recovered from the mental blow and returned with a physical one, stomping hard on the guy's foot, making him yelp.

"You little shit!" He accused angrily, gripping his foot as Mark stuck his tongue out. Another of the players decided to join the fun and went to grab Mark by the shoulder, but I acted on instinct, reaching out and shoving the other player back hard enough so that he fell over, smacking his head on the asphalt.

Everyone went still as the guy gasped, then rolled over onto his side to touch the back of his head where droplets of dark red blood oozed from his skull. My heart pounded in my chest, catching up to all the other hearts that were throbbing around me. The sweet metallic scent of blood hit my senses like a tidal wave and I took a step back, my eyes widening.