Part 1

Her smile. That's what Kaldur remembered the most. The way her smile would relax him as she read him fairytales to sleep. The way her smile seemed to brighten the room every time his father came back from a long voyage at sea. The way her smile would warm even the coldest of hearts when she served the dock workers at her restaurant.

Even when things got tough she still had her smile. When his father died at sea she smiled and told him everything would be okay. Even when she remarried and his stepbrothers were being difficult she would smile and tell him if he was kind everything would be alright. Even when she got sick she would smile at Kaldur and remind him to be kind and true to his heart.

And that's what he did through his kindness Kaldur was able to keep people coming to his mother's restaurant even though his stepbrothers had not taken the best care of it. Through his kindness, Kaldur was able to make good friends and they all had each other's backs.

Even though at times it was hard with his stepfather ordering him around and his stepbrothers enjoyed messing with him. But there wasn’t much he could do for now except endure it and focus on college. But as soon as Kaldur had an opportunity he was out, he just hoped he’d make his parents proud.

“Kaldur!!” David shouted causing Kaldur to wake up and fall out of bed.

Groaning he quickly got up and made his way out of the attic and to his stepfathers’ office.

“Yes, sir?” Kaldur asked as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

David was sitting at his desk rolling his eyes at the paperwork he had to go over for the shipping company Kaldurs father use to own that now apparently David had the obligation to run.

“Why were you late last night?” David questioned.

“A fight broke out at the restaurant and left a huge mess. I stayed to help with the cleaning.” Kaldur explained.

“Good that means you don’t have to work tonight.”

“But I was-” David raised an eyebrow when Kaldur started to protest causing him to quickly shut up.

“I have a very important dinner tonight. I need you to cook like your life depends on it and to be on your best behavior. So go get fresh groceries, get the house clean and keep your mouth shut.” David ordered.

Kaldur took a deep breath and nodded walking out of the room. Digging his phone out he messaged his friends about the situation and needed to take a raincheck on their plans. Suddenly a pile of clothes landed in front of him and Kaldur looked up to see his step brothers smiling at him from the top of the stairs.

“We need you to get our good clothes cleaned.” Adam smirked.

“Yeah, we gotta look good tonight.” Michael chimed in.

“Of course can’t have you guys looking the way you act,” Kaldur mumbled as he picked up the clothes.

“Was that sarcasm?” Michael asked

“You’re an idiot.” Adam sighed walking away.

“Wait was that sarcasm?!” Michael questioned following his brother.

Kaldur sighed, why did he have a feeling this was going to be a long day.